Senior Business Development Manager
Date Posted: June 22, 2022
Region: North America
Country: United States
Job Type: Full-Time
The Senior Business Development Manager (SBD) plays a central role in expanding EF’s portfolio and reaching its growth targets. The SBD Manager is responsible for securing new business in regions where EF works and beyond. The SBD Manager leads the production of high-quality proposals for federal funding as well as other foreign donors, private foundations, and corporations. The position involves up to 25% international travel in order to competitively position EF for new opportunities, identify new partners and donors, and conduct effective capture. The SBD Manager supervises other BD staff such as Business Development Associates and provides guidance and training to support proposal activities across the portfolio of opportunities.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide direction and leadership on proposals including serving as technical lead or proposal writer when needed
- Lead and manage proposal development from solicitation analysis, bid/no bid decision, through the development of the technical and cost application and the submission of the full package
- Ensure the quality of the proposal package in line with donor requirements and EF’s technical approaches.
- Negotiate roles and funding levels with potential partner organizations, manage technical and cost inputs from partners, serve as a point of contact throughout partner negotiations
- Manage award negotiations including responses to donor questions and proposal revisions.
- Support post award activities such as project start-ups when needed, working in close collaboration with finance and program teams to ensure smooth transition from pre-award to post award stage.
- Lead pre-positioning efforts including capture management, technical research, recruitment, partnership development, and management of consultants.
- Contribute to development and refinement of business development tools, protocols, and processes to improve efficiency and quality of EF proposals
- Cultivate strategic partnerships in key technical areas and priority countries.
- Mentor and support the professional development of junior staff members
- Assist in development and implementation of EF business development strategy and annual business development plans
- Monitor the BD pipeline and contribute to the analysis of EF’s BD performance such as win rates and growth targets.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred in relevant field such as international development.
- Minimum ten years of experience in progressive business development roles
- Demonstrated track record in securing UG funding
- Strong familiarity with USAID, State Department and other international donor agencies highly desirable
- Strong strategic planning and organizational skills and attention to detail required
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills; Russian, Arabic, Persian and other Eurasian languages preferred
- Familiarity with technical areas relevant to EF’s expertise such as civil society strengthening, good governance, media development, civic engagement and youth programming.
- Experience in staff supervision and team management
To be considered for this position, please attach a resume and cover letter to your application.