The Advocacy Officer (Officer) is a passionate, focused and strategic individual who has experience in policy and government relations. The Officer works with a variety of stakeholders to develop and implement the Foundation’s advocacy strategy, focused on ensuring that needs of melanoma patients are integrated within national policy and funding priorities. The Officer works collaboratively and seamlessly across the Foundation’s programmatic areas to ensure alignment with the overall strategic plan.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Policy and Government Affairs:
- Research and monitor government activities that could affect melanoma patients and caregivers.
- Manage the Foundation’s lobbyist and maintain communication between lobbying activities and wider programmatic initiatives.
- Assists senior management and leadership with strategic planning for known and potential regulatory activities related to melanoma patients.
- Builds and maintains professional relationships with members of federal, state, and local government entities and agencies, including FDA, NCI, NIH, on key priority areas.
- Joins associations, coalitions and industry committees and seek leadership roles.
- Collaborate with industry partners and development to advance programmatic needs.
- Testifies before government committees on behalf of the Foundation and community and coordinates testimony for others testifying on behalf of the Foundation.
- Represents the Foundation in media opportunities related to advocacy priorities.
- Introduces legislative and public policy changes that will support Foundation priorities.
- Assist the Foundation’s Communications team in developing all written and online advocacy materials to educate Congress, the public and others on awareness of the disease and need for research funding.
- Develop advocacy opportunities for patients/caregivers in conjunction with the Foundation’s other programmatic areas – Research and Education, such as participation on industry panels, FDA listening sessions and patient roundtables.
- Develop and lead the annual Advocacy Days program.
- Collaborate with programmatic colleagues on Foundation-wide events that involve advocates.
- Develop programming that aligns with the Foundation’s strategic plan in regards to advocate engagement.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan to recruit, engage and retain melanoma advocates to increase the general public’s understanding and support (i.e. funding, etc.) of the Foundation’s advocacy priorities.
- Oversee advocate education and research coursework by updating existing courses and developing new ones.
- Approve mission-focused news and articles for promotion on the Foundation’s social media channels.
- Develop and manage the Advocacy Department budget.
- Identify and maximize program potential for generating revenue by supporting development in sponsor and grant funding opportunities by providing expert opinion, program descriptions and news, and compelling up-to-date metrics and reporting.
- Lead Advocacy Team to meet or exceed annual strategic plan goals.
- Participate in the creation, planning, and implementation of new and existing projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional details and position requirements can be found in the official position description. Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to MRF CEO Kyleigh LiPira at email@example.com