Position Overview: The Director of Development and Marketing is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Family Services’ fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual appeals, special events and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with The Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors in all development, fundraising and marketing endeavors.
The Director of Development and Marketing is also responsible for the management of the Family Services brand, working closely with the CEO, Leadership Team and Board to ensure that messaging and communications are consistent and integrated across agency programs. Responsible for the creation of marketing materials that assist with revenue generation as well as media relations and digital media presence. Provides oversight of the agency Marketing Committee and manages staff adherence to brand guidelines.
This position is a member of the Agency leadership team and works in conjunction with the Leadership Team on agency-wide issues including program development and oversight, strategic planning, and budget oversight. Enthusiastically supports, practices and communicates the agency’s Mission, Vision, and Statement of Values.
We welcome the unique contributions from our team when it comes to culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity, and expression, nation of origin, languages spoken, color, religion, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
Family Services brings people together to find the support they need, improving their lives and communities, and building a stronger, safer Hudson Valley.
Our Agency Values:
Compassion – Extending empathy and understanding to others
Integrity - Being honest and dependable
Hope - Believing in the strength of the human spirit and heart, to emerge and thrive when faced with a challenge
Diversity – Promoting a vision of community comprised of wide-ranging assets
Respect - Treating all individuals with dignity and without judgement
Community - Recognizing and reinforcing the importance of our world as being comprised of people of differing strengths and perspectives
Justice - Promoting social and economic equity and fairness
Quality - Aspiring for excellence in every aspect of our work
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- 5-plus years experience in development and fundraising
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of donor database systems, Constant Contact, and Adobe Suite is a plus
- Responsible for restricted and unrestricted foundation, trust and business funding research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements. (Most restricted funding requests and renewals are undertaken by other staff throughout the agency, and often with support of outside consultants)
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Move toward a planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Develop and cultivate year long partnerships with corporations and local businesses including the preparation of written materials that provide Family Services case for business support and the benefits to the business.
- Work with the CEO, Board of Directors, Capital Campaign Steering Committee and Capital Campaign Consultant to coordinate a successful capital campaign for the Family Partnership Center, through 2022.
- Oversee fundraising database, tracking systems and gift recognition.
- Work closely with Chief Executive Officer, Leadership Team, Board of Directors and the Development Committee to encourage strategic participation in the Development process.
- Work closely with Development staff and Finance Staff to ensure that all gifts are accurately reflected in the fundraising database.
- Produce bimonthly and as needed fundraising statistics and reports for the Development Committee and Board of Directors.
- Working closely with the Development and Events Manager, as well as related committees to oversee fund raising special events including Family of the Year, Walk a Mile, and Festival of Trees to ensure maximum revenue generation and agency exposure.
- Coordinate agency awareness initiatives such as the Annual Report to the Community Luncheon, press conferences, and donor cultivation events.
- Lead the staff and team of volunteers by example and assist with all manner of tasks needed leading up to each event and be prepared to jump in to help when all hands-on deck is required.
- Cultivate relationships with event committee members and volunteers in order to bolster the success of Family Services events.
- Work with the CEO, Board of Directors, Capital Campaign Steering Committee and Capital Campaign Consultant to coordinate a successful capital campaign for the Family Partnership Center.
- Work with campaign consultant to develop printed and marketing materials including case for support, executive summary, and website content.
- Identify prospects who might support the campaign, work with steering committee members and consultant to develop and outreach strategy and cultivation plan.
- Maintain capital campaign records including budget documents, pledges and gifts, naming opportunities.
- Ensure continued and ongoing communications and engagement to ensure continued engagement of Steering Committee members and support of current and perspective donors.
Marketing and Communications:
- Working closely with the Marketing Assistant, maintain Family Services Brand and oversee staff adherence to branding guidelines.
- Oversee creation of marketing materials to support fund raising activities including events, spring appeal, annual appeal and annual report.
- Responsible for agency wide awareness including the creation and management of the newsletter, radio advertisements, social media, constant contact communication and website.
- Assist members of the Leadership Team in creating and distributing internal communications throughout the agency.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the Family Services with the community.
- Keep current with national mailing, social media, and marketing trends.
- Manage work with outside consultants engaged in agency marketing activities including web design and media development.
- Member of Leadership Team Meetings and actively participates in discussion and decision making; attends service / program team meetings as appropriate.
- Participate in the development of Family Services annual operating budget with regard to development, marketing and capital campaign items and ensure budget line items are met.
- Along with the Chief Financial Officer, create the Development and Marketing Department budget.
- Staff Board Development Committee meetings.
- Chairs committees as requested by the CEO.
- Timely review of gift and finance reports and work closely with Finance Staff to ensure that all revenue and expenses are accurately reflected in the database.
- Completes all work and reporting functions in a timely fashion.
- Interacts with stakeholders, clients, referral sources, co-workers and others in a positive, client-oriented manner; provides a positive example of professional behavior in the workplace.
- Adheres to the Agency’s Code of Conduct and Corporate Compliance Plan.
- Makes periodic reports to the Board of Directors as requested by CEO.
- Responds supportively to changes in programs and policies and taking a broad view of one’s position by assuming additional responsibilities when the need arises.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Hudson Valley area including major non-profits, foundations, organizations is highly preferable.
- Excellent administrative skills
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Possess ‘out of the box’ thinking and resourcefulness
- Ability to work effectively when under extreme pressure
- Possess compassion and empathy
- Ability to complete administrative tasks on a timely basis
- Be dependable, transparent on all tasks, receptive to supervision
- Ability to think creatively and strategically about the big picture, while remaining focused on the detail orientated work.
- Computer literacy
- Strategic thinking
- Organizational skills
- Client focus
- Time management
- Communication and public speaking skills
- Ability to travel to Agency locations across three counties (Dutchess, Ulster, Orange)
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends as needed in order to provide leadership to agency events or to represent the agency within the community.
Work Environment – Majority of time is office setting, occasionally in outlying sites, in the community, and travel to offsite meetings and events