President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Position Description: The President & CEO will report to and work collaboratively with the Board of Directors in leading United Ways of Texas (UWT) and delivering on its long-term vision. Specifically, s/he will ensure that UWT’s fiscal, operations, public policy, fundraising, member relations, marketing and programmatic strategies are effectively implemented across all segments of the organization. The President & CEO is the primary connection to the United Way network, including Texas United Ways, the national network of local United Ways, United Way Worldwide and its Council of States. Additionally, the President & CEO will lead partnerships and build relationships with state agency leadership, elected officials, executive branches of government, and statewide organizations.
Responsibilities and Core Competencies:
Provide Statewide Leadership
- Visioning and Strategic Thinking: Think long-range, be creative with growth opportunities, challenge imaginations to further the image of UWT network and partners, create a vision that captures minds and energize others to commit to the vision.
- Opportunity Development: Continuously look for opportunities to further the mission of UWT and the network of Texas United Ways, including strategic partnerships and relationships with other entities and state-level agencies. Envision and seek out funding opportunities (including grants and other funding sources) and develop and pursue policy and systems-change efforts.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: Identify, analyze, organize and solve problems and issues in a timely and effective manner and use data and input from others to make sound decisions even in the face of uncertainty.
- Change Leadership: Champion change, demonstrate a willingness and ability to initiate, sponsor, and lead change initiatives through to completion. Currently, this includes ensuring Texas perspectives are raised in the United Way Worldwide organization and mission transformation, keeping the Texas United Way network up-to-date on network transformation, encouraging local United Ways to embrace a path forward and supporting the overall evolution and transition of the United Way brand and network.
Demonstrate Leadership to UWT Staff
- Managing Remote Team: Experience and comfort with managing a remote team of self-motivated and driven high-performers. Conduct regular in-person staff meetings that further team culture. Provide macro-level guidance of day-to-day operations to support staff as they execute performance goals and support UWT members.
- Team Leadership and Development: Demonstrate skills in team leadership, delegate effectively, foster teamwork and drive a culture of accountability to achieve stated goals and objectives. Develop individual abilities by setting expectations, managing performance through coaching, mentoring, advising and providing other opportunities for formal and informal professional development. Challenge others to improve and grow, address performance expeditiously and effectively, and groom staff for advancement.
Develop Impact Strategies, Resources and Build Relationships
- Relationship Management and Member Services: Drive the organizational focus on support to local United Ways and their communities and balance a diverse member-group with ranging community needs, perspectives and priorities. Value and nurture relationships across the UWT community. Develop and maintain strong relationships with government agencies, legislators, local and state-wide partners, policy makers and advocates.
- Political Astuteness: Understand and operate effectively within the political environment of the United Way movement, State and Federal Government, and UWT community. Use political awareness to determine how to best accomplish goals. Formulate strategies and communicate in an ethical and politically-sensitive manner. Maintain a working knowledge of and experience within the Texas political system, specifically with social issues aligned with the mission of UWT members.
- Strategy and Product Innovation: Identify innovative strategies to address community concerns, create products to address strategies, and find appropriate funding mechanisms.
- Coalition Building: Explain, advocate and articulate facts and ideas in a persuasive manner and negotiate both internally (within UWT member network) and externally (state-level and national coalitions, partners) to advance strategies.
- Development and Investment of Resources: Understand the development and investment of resources required for statewide impact, particularly in the areas of education, income and health and develop a comprehensive approach to pursue public and private resources to meet those needs.
- Board Relationship Management: Build and manage productive relationships with UWT board members that will provide leadership and guidance for the organization.
- Funder Relationship Management: Create and sustain mutually positive funder relationships, including those with philanthropic foundations, state agencies, corporate partners/sponsors and potential donors to either UWT or local United Ways. Successfully foster mutually-beneficial relationships to add value throughout the United Way system.
Demonstrates Business Acumen
- Strategic & Operational Planning: Work with the board and staff to determine long-term objectives and strategies for meeting goals, allocate personnel and resources efficiently, anticipate obstacles and manage competing priorities.
- Business Services for UWT Members: Further the implementation of current and new member services, including back-office accounting and management.
- Financial Management: Administer budget for program areas, monitor expenditures to ensure cost- effective support of programs and assess financial condition of the organization.
- Human Resource Management: Knowledge of policies and practices involved in personnel/human resource functions.
- Technology Management: Manage technology assets and use long- and short-range planning to budget for and select technology.
Models Exemplary Values and Personal Attributes
- Achievement Orientation: Demonstrate energy and excitement for challenging objectives, exceed goals set by self and/or others, drive to achieve high-level, sustainable performance goals, think creatively to solve problems and navigate complex systems and relationships to achieve goals.
- Integrity: Honor commitments and take responsibility for actions and words.
- Flexibility: Demonstrate adaptability, flexibility and openness to alternative solutions when interacting with others. Consider others attitudes, needs, interests, and perspectives.
- Inclusive: Model the ability to network, collaborate and partner with diverse stakeholders including a broad representation of private/public and traditional/nontraditional community organizations. Understand the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion efforts and drive efforts forward in the workplace and UWT network.
- Qualified candidates with a strong management and public policy background are encouraged to apply
- At least 7 years of management experience, preferably within a senior leadership position
- Excellent understanding of, and deep experience and relationships in the area of public policy/advocacy in Texas, preferably extensive knowledge and/or experience with United Way at the local, state or national level.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong public speaking skills. Demonstrate ability to translate policy language and data into the “language of community” helping others see the impact of the work in the UWT communities.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
Location: While UWT is based in Austin, Texas, it serves members from across the State of Texas. Prefer candidate located in (or willing to relocate to) the Greater Austin area (75-mile radius); will consider candidates not in this geographic area who are willing to travel to Austin for meetings with staff and the Board of Directors. In addition, it is anticipated that travel to Austin will be more frequent just prior to and during state Legislative sessions.
Salary Range: $145,000 - $162,000 annually, plus employee benefits package.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 4, 2022