Position: Director of Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Works remotely. Travel occasionally required.
Hours required: 40 hrs/wk. Varies depending on race/event schedule.
Pay: Starts at $54,000
wear blue: run to remember has been growing steadily and is now seeking to dramatically accelerate growth. The board and Executive Director (ED) are looking for a part-time mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization, to create systems and manage an all-volunteer leadership team. The COO must be a leader who is able to help others at wear blue deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality. Importantly, the successful COO will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. This is an excellent position for a professional who is looking to dedicate themselves on a part-time basis to a meaningful, impactful program.
Reporting to the founder and Executive Director of wear blue: run to remember, the COO will lead all internal operations and have the following responsibilities:
- Working in partnership with the founder and ED, create the operational five-year plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization:
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization
- Provide staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; bridge national and regional operations and support cohesion among the team
- Be the voice of continuity within the organization
- Create a dynamic communication flow to connect the dots between the programs
- Plan and execute an annual staff retreat
- Support additional training as needed, to include Regional Coordinator/Meet-Up Training
- Lead and manage the following responsibilities:
- Create processes, order, and measurements for the organization
- Information sharing
- Organization insurance and liabilities
- Social Media and Marketing
- Finance, Technology, and Human Resources
- Cultivate the values of wear blue within the organization
- In coordination with the partnered financial team, manage the accounting processes that provide the organization with quick access to financial information and enable strategic budgeting
- Pay bills
- Create and manage budget
- Process organizational expenses and reimbursements
- Create and oversee the compliance of organizational policies
- Monitor and implement legal processes and requirements for the organization (charity registrations, state registrations, intellectual property, foreign qualifications, etc), with legal assistance.
- Work with the National Board of Directors: present to the board at quarterly meetings and serve on several board committees as needed.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of wear blue: run to remember and be driven by the mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for creating and implementing systems. We are seeking a candidate who has proven experience in scaling a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team. The successful candidate will have management experience with a for-profit or non-profit organization.
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation
- Evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
- High level of business acumen including successful P&L management
- The ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget
- Problem-solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Strategic Vision and Agility - ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Leadership and Organization-exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top-down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team to place people in a position to succeed
- Action-Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
- General Management—thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
- Process and Technology Knowledge - an understanding of technology solutions and options is needed. Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
- Solid educational background—undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $50,000.00 - $62,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: Remote