Assistant Director, Scholarships and Endowments
Charlottesville, VA, Charlottesville, VA, US
Requisition ID: 1011
Salary Range: $43,000.00 To 53,000.00 Annually
Job Title: Assistant Director, Scholarships and Endowments
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisor: Director of Scholarships, Endowments and Awards, Alumni Association
Date Prepared: 7/19/2021
The incumbent will work in partnership with the Director of Scholarships, Endowments and Awards to manage and execute the many scholarships and endowments managed by the Alumni Association. Incumbent will be expected to manage awarding process and serve as a liaison to the advisory boards and committees of the Custom Scholarship program and the Mead Endowment. Activities will include regular communication with key donors, families associated with memorial endowments, selection committees and additional promotion of programs to enhance the overall development efforts.
The University of Virginia Alumni Association seeks to attract and retain a diverse work force and encourages members of historically underrepresented groups to apply. We're an equal opportunity employer.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the scholarship application processes and scholarship committees. Duties include planning the scholarship competition calendar, updating the applications, downloading submitted applications, preliminary screening of applicants and communication with applicants; interaction with selection committees, coordinating packets of information, responding to donor and committee questions and overseeing on-site interviews; assisting with online video systems to facilitate remote interviews when needed; tracking the annual processes and recipients, and maintaining individual records of recipients and contact records.
- Lead the grant process for the Mead Endowment and similar programs in partnership with the key alumni volunteers associated with these funds. Duties include working directly with faculty to track account balances, reimburse requests, both direct and online, assist with execution of grants and communicate directly with board members and trustees; administer Mead Money and track the use of funds across the multiple programs under the Mead Endowment. Serves as host for the Mead Endowment Dinner Series.
- Represent the scholarship program and possess a working knowledge of scholarships offered and their status.
- Work with the Assistant Director to develop a programming calendar and activities based on scholar needs to create a robust collegiate experience for identified scholarship recipients. Meet one-on-one with scholars as needed.
- Coordinate and plan events, including working with hosts, pulling guest lists and sending invitations, creating invitations, tracking RSVPs, negotiating with caterers and other similar vendor contracts, coordinating event follow-up. Participates and attends these events as required.
- Develop and enhance recognition programs for specific scholarships and endowments.
- Draft speaking comments, update event programs and produce and gather certificates for recognition ceremonies.
- Collaborate with Engagement on co-hosted events, from concept to implementation, provide assistance when needed.
- Work directly with the marketing team, establishing clear deadlines and expectations, overseeing creative processes, and making sure projects are completed in a timely fashion.
- Work directly with board members, committee members and donors.
- Answer inquiries from staff, donors, and the general public regarding policies and procedures surrounding the scholarship program.
- Provide support for the scholarship program and Chief Development Officer which include, but are not limited to, drafting and proofing correspondence, answering phone calls, event coordination, database management support, generating mail lists, updating activities, updating scholarship recipients, maintaining and updating donor/prospect information, and creating and tracking events.
- Draft and send thank you notes to donors as needed; updating and making sure letters are appropriate.
- Finalize gift and fund agreements, disperse for signatures using Docusign, and file accordingly.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 2-3 years’ experience in nonprofit operations, project management, or program management preferred.
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders, and diverse constituencies, in an externally-facing role strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working in fast-paced environments with shifting priorities.
- Communications/marketing, event planning/coordination experience preferred.
- Experience with data, analytics, and digital systems and tools preferred.
- Fundraising/development database system experience preferred.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Familiarity with mass electronic and print communications production and distribution systems strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress or other CMS strongly preferred.
- Excellent skills in all Microsoft Office software applications required.
- Proficiency utilizing databases, creating reports, and using information for research purposes required.
- Excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation. Proficient at managing correspondence to individuals or groups, with skills that include tracking versions from draft to final version.
- Ability to draft original copy for subsequent review and editing by staff.
- Skill in gathering and reporting information.
The incumbent has no positions reporting to it.
- Demonstrates leadership, creativity, professionalism, and self-motivation.
- Possesses strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to work under pressure, and ability to handle multiple projects with varied timelines.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to represent the Alumni Association and the University in a professional manner to both large and small groups.
- Operates comfortably and effectively in a multicultural environment; interacts tactfully and sensitively with culturally diverse populations.
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions and uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Demonstrates familiarity with the University of Virginia, the Alumni Association, and alumni engagement strategy.
- Operates independently but can also manage and complete projects by enlisting the cooperation and collaboration of others.
- Seizes opportunities to learn new skills; applies knowledge to improve work processes; maintains a passion for delivering quality work product and customer service.
- UVA Alumni Association and UVA Fund benefactors, partial benefactors, donor prospects, scholarship committee members, advisory board members, trustees, candidates, faculty, scholarship recipients, parents, and alumni club officers by phone, fax, e-mail, video and in person.
- UVA Alumni Association staff, especially Development staff
- UVA Alumni Association Department Managers, Directors, President, and Board Members.
- University of Virginia community (students, faculty and administrators).
- University of Virginia Advancement Staff
- Vendors for outsourcing services – caterers, florists.
- UVA Alumni/Members.
- Works in a fast-paced office environment. A small amount of physical activity is required.
- Works as part of the Development team.
- Will require working occasional evenings and weekends.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $43,000.00 - $53,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
The Alumni Association follows all CDC COVID-19 guidelines at a minimum.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Charlottesville, VA 22903: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19