Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the overall leadership of the organization, guiding HFHECT’s operations and growth. He/she will be the organization’s chief advocate, spokesperson, and representative. The ED will work with the Board and staff, as well as other partners, to build on past successes and forge new collaborations and partnerships with community leaders, state and federal government programs, related organizations (e.g., faith-based groups), individual donors, and corporate sponsors. The ideal candidate will be an innovative, entrepreneurial, people-oriented individual who has proven success cultivating partnerships and running a complex, growing organization.
Leadership: Work with the Board and staff to set strategic goals and priorities. Provide leadership, direction, and management to HFHECT including the operations of fiscal, administrative, and programmatic, and legal oversight. Develop a unified sense of purpose among staff and Board members. Ensure operational activities align with strategic goals. Foster a success-oriented, entrepreneurial environment within the organization that is consistent with the mission, values, and vision of Habitat for Humanity International.
Board Relations: Serve as a critical partner with the Board, providing relevant, timely, and transparent updates (including the annual work plan and budget), introducing industry trends and new opportunities for consideration, and seeking professional guidance from Board members regarding relevant governance issues. Actively participate in Board discussions and planning activities, engaging members as appropriate regarding critical issues and opportunities.
Community Engagement: Plan and implement strategies to promote public awareness of, and engagement with, HFHECT. Monitor trends, emerging issues, and community efforts related to affordable housing. Act as the chief spokesperson for the organization, articulating the vision in an inspiring way and building relationships with individuals, corporations, faith-based organizations, government officials, and community groups to support and enhance the mission. Cultivate HFHECT’s visibility and relationships in the community through personal engagement and effective communication.
Operations Management: Oversee all facets of HFHECT’s operations including (but not limited to) homeownership and repair programs, retail operations of two ReStores, financial management, resource development, family services, and advocacy. Apply sound and proven business practices and implement industry best practices, business policies, and internal controls to minimize risk, safeguard corporate assets, and improve operational efficiencies.
Staff Development: Lead, prepare, empower, delegate and evaluate the performance of a diverse team, providing opportunities for team building, planning, and professional development. Develop strong inter-departmental relations and foster positive relationships amongst staff. Cultivate a welcoming and positive environment, supporting and encouraging the staff to be their best while implementing a culture of teamwork, accountability, and quality. Ensure fair and consistent human resource practices and seek to implement systems and practices that encourage staff retention.
Resource Development: Expand the breadth and depth of relationships and partnerships that will lead to sustainable, diversified funding streams and significant philanthropic investments in HFHECT’s future. Actively participate in fund development activities and the cultivation of individual, government, and corporate donors. Establish partnerships with financial institutions to further the reach of, and minimize risk to, the HFHECT.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, with an MBA, MPA, JD, or CPA credential(s)
- Minimum of eight years of financial and operational management experience in a complex environment; at least five years of experience at a senior managerial level.
- Strong knowledge of corporate and/or non-profit governance with significant experience interfacing with governing boards.
- Proven track record of relationship building that leads to financial investment.
- Exemplary leadership and management skills.
- Experience influencing business culture through the development and implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Strong financial acumen and financial management skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, decision-making, and negotiating skills.
- Experience with and understanding of real estate transactions, construction, and/or public funding preferred.
- Prior Habitat for Humanity or affordable housing experience is a plus.
In addition to possessing core functional competencies, HFHECT’s next ED should be:
- Deeply committed to the mission of HFHECT.
- A strong, visionary leader who thinks strategically and can implement tactically.
- A positive cultural influencer who leads with transparency.
- An articulate communicator and storyteller who inspires investment.
- Willing to be highly visible and engaged with the Eastern CT community.
- Respectful of all constituencies and willing to engage across constituencies whether at the construction site, in the office, or in the community.
- Willing to empower staff while holding them accountable.
- Able to advocate effectively for and build partnerships that advance affordable housing.
- A team builder, consensus builder, and collaborator.
- Able to multi-task, balancing internal and external stakeholder needs.
- Approachable and genuine.
Salary and Location
$80,000-$105,000 plus benefits and a relocation package. This is a full-time.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates is conducting this search in partnership with HFHECT’s Board of Directors. To apply, click on the link to the Executive Director position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact [email protected]. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or through third-party sites.