About Strawberry Hill:
Strawberry Hill Foundation, Inc. (SHF), located in Adams County Pennsylvania, is a private non-profit dedicated to inspiring stewardship of our natural world by connecting the community with educational opportunities. Adjacent to the
Foundation’s educational campus is the Michaux State Forest with two “Exceptional Value” streams and miles of hiking trails. Annually, Strawberry Hill serves 5,000+ people through educational programs and events, and our location serves an additional 2,500+ people who visit to recreate. Strawberry Hill maintains an endowment fund to steward long-term assets of the organization which are used to support capital and operational needs. As of June 2021, the Foundation maintains investment assets totaling $2 million, with an annual operating budget of approximately $250,000.
More information at StrawberryHill.org.
The Ideal Candidate:
Strawberry Hill’s new executive director will be passionate about the mission of making the natural world accessible and understandable to diverse constituencies while understanding the complexities of implementing and funding a nonprofit organization dedicated to environmental education. They will be an outstanding verbal and written communicator, adept at building collaborative relationships that inspire board, staff, and funder commitment to Strawberry Hill.
The ideal candidate for this position will have demonstrated success partnering with a board of directors to lead strategically; they will have experience engaging board members in fundraising and other governance activities. The candidate must also possess a strong background in aligning internal operations with financial and resource capacity, i.e., be skilled in business planning and able to make decisions that will lead to sustainability and growth.
Reporting to the Board President and working closely with the Board and staff, the Executive Director has broad authority to lead and govern daily operations to achieve Strawberry Hill’s mission and strategic vision. The Executive
Director is responsible for administrative and operational functions, including strategic plan implementation, mission awareness and enhancement, board governance, fiscal management, development and fundraising activities, programming, marketing and public relations, and volunteer and personnel management.
- Operates SHF in a fiscally responsible manner, providing reports as required by the Board of Directors and/or accountant. Manages accounts payable and receivable, processes payroll and employee records, and maintains accurate records in QuickBooks.
- Creates and manages organizational operating budget and plan for future revenue needs and resources to sustain SHF programs and operations. Oversees budget performance and allocation. Establishes fees and authorizes major expenditures in connection with the approved budget.
- Generates funds through grants, solicitations, and other means to enhance the fiscal status of Strawberry Hill.
- Works with the Board of Directors and its committees to assist and develop fundraising efforts, increase revenue generated through development activities, and manages the Foundation’s investments.
- Is responsible for maintaining the Foundation’s Corporate files, non-profit status, and associated information.
- Develops, enhances, and articulates the vision and mission of SHF through strategic plan implementation.
- Provides leadership toward long-term strategic plans and implementation of short-term objectives.
- Ensures SHF operates in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Leads staff recruitment, and employee development, supervision, and evaluation.
- Trains and updates staff on policy developments and implementation.
- Cultivates, recruits, and develops volunteers and Board members, organizes monthly Board meetings, facilitates committee meetings, and serves as an Ex-Officio member on all committees.
- Develops and enhances key relationships with partner organizations, businesses and corporations, foundations, applicable agencies, donors, and community members.
- Coordinates special events that engage the community while cultivating new members, donors, and volunteers.
- Secures financial support from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Works with staff to design, implement, and assess current and future educational offerings.
- Develops performance metrics and implements data collection and reporting systems including financial statistics and reports regarding participation, programming, and operations.
- Is responsible for maintaining or delegating the design, construction, and maintenance of all facilities and equipment therein. Oversees the operations, management, and improvement of SHF and its facilities/campus.
- Recommends and implements needed capital improvements.
- Creates and implements risk management policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, enhancing public image of SHF.
- Updates the Standard Operating Procedures on a biennial basis.
- Represents Strawberry Hill Foundation in a professional manner, serving as a mission advocate.
- Enforces all rules and regulations regarding safety and security on campus.
- Implements special projects requested by the Board of Directors.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (required), Master’s degree (preferred) in one of the following: Non-profit management, parks and recreation administration, environmental studies, education, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years experience supervising staff.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational leadership and fiscal management.
- Management experience in an organization with a similar or greater budget.
- Proven track record in working with partners, marketing, and community relations. Proven board leadership skills or commensurate leadership experience.
- Grant writing experience and a track record of leading or supporting fundraising programs that includes cultivation of individual donors (annual fund, major gifts, and planned giving).
- Experience in nature/science education or outdoor recreation.
- Ability to obtain PA Act 33 and Act 34 clearances, and FBI Fingerprint clearance.
- Ability to obtain and maintain Adult & Pediatric First Aid, CPR, and AED certification.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and QuickBooks software platforms.
- Experience with eTapestry donor software.
- Capital Campaign experience preferred.
Compensation and Benefits: This is an exempt, full-time position working 40+ hours per week, with a starting salary in the range of $50,000 to $65,000 per year, depending on experience. This position qualifies for paid holidays and paid time off (PTO), a stipend for healthcare, and paid training opportunities.
Strawberry Hill Foundation, Inc. is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be accepted in electronic format only until the position is filled with priority given to applications received by July 19, 2021. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
- Management Experience: 5 years (Preferred)