About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 510,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Charity Navigator has awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position:
First Book is a leader in both philanthropic and public-private sector partnerships, focused on removing barriers to education for kids in need. The Manager of Strategic Alliances will help design and manage philanthropic corporate partnerships for First Book. Corporate partners represent a diversity of industries, including Disney, KPMG, Pizza Hut, Netflix, Intel, Kendra Scott, and more.
The Manager will play a principal role in cultivating and strengthening corporate relationships in a dynamic, fast-paced organization. Responsibilities include partner research, strategy development, relationship building, project management, budgeting, and partnership marketing. The Manager should possess experience in cause-based marketing, corporate partnership development, and/or consulting with the private sector. Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong interest in fundraising, a track record of account management, solid business writing and presentation skills, excellent verbal communication, experience with pitch formation and delivery, creative and bold thinking, exceptional critical thinking skills, and a passion for corporate social responsibility.
The Manager will work with colleagues on the Strategic Alliances Team, as well as collaborate extensively with team members across the organization to ensure that organizational needs are met through corporate partnerships. The Manager will report directly to the VP of Strategic Alliances.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage a portfolio of corporate partnerships, representing First Book with excellence in early-stage and ongoing partner relationships
• Maintain partner satisfaction, sustain long-term partnerships, and engender partnership growth
• Manage partnership activities, campaigns, and initiatives, developing budgets, planning and executing in close collaboration with cross-functional First Book team members
• Bring creativity and a customer-service mentality to all corporate relationships
• Report and track all relevant partner and opportunity updates within Salesforce
• Create reports demonstrating the impact of partner activities, campaigns, and initiatives
• Develop strong relationships with internal stakeholders, to support existing partnerships and to forward the work of Strategic Alliances
• Keep abreast of philanthropic trends that may affect the assigned portfolio of partners
• Remain up-to-date on partner business news to ensure continued relevance of the partnership and to identify new opportunities
• Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• Have a strong interest and/or experience in corporate social responsibility
• Possess excellent client management and partnership development skills
• Fast learner with a strong team-focused, collaborative mentality
• Be self-motivated and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
• Exhibit excellent attention to detail
• Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
• Prior use of Salesforce or equivalent CRM system preferred
• Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Exceptional organizational skills and time management required. Must have the ability to meet designated deadlines.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced multi-tasked environment as a member of a vibrant team.
• Be passionate about making a tangible, measurable difference
• Able to travel as necessary, up to 40% during peak periods, unless precluded by global or regional safety and public health considerations.
Education and/or Experience:
• BA/BS; MBA or equivalent preferred
• A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of work experience in a corporate fundraising, client development, or client management capacity and a strong interest in corporate social responsibility
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Medical insurance
• Dental insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to us at email@example.com / 202-499-5935.