Room to Read seeks a Global Safety and Security Consultant or Firm to support the development of policies, systems and infrastructure that will promote the safety and security of Room to Read staff around the world. The consultant or firm will develop a global safety and security framework for Room to Read’s operations. The focus of this scope is on physical security and incident prevention and management related to key security operational areas including offices, events, travel safety and other security initiatives. The consultant or firm will advise on minimum acceptable security standards to ensure proper precautions for the safety and security of Room to Read staff; mitigate organizational liability and risk to personnel and assets; and facilitate the overall success of our mission. The ideal consultant is a well-rounded security expert who understands the complexities of security management in a non-profit and overseas setting.
The location of this work is remote. The consultant will report to the Associate Director of Global Program Operations, who is based in San Francisco. This work is to be conducted from August to September 2021. The consultant or firm may also be asked to present findings to Room to Read staff or stakeholders.
- Conduct a detailed security review and risk assessment of Room to Read’s worldwide operations. The assessment should include a desk review of existing safety and security products established to date; interviews with key Room to Read staff members; and a review of safety and security policies and practices of international nonprofit organizations of a similar size and mission. Provide written report of findings.
- Develop an appropriate safety and security framework for Room to Read’s worldwide operations with a focus on the minimum acceptable security standards to ensure proper precautions for the safety and security of Room to Read staff; mitigate organizational liability and risk to personnel and assets; and facilitate the overall success of our mission.
- Conduct an assessment of Room to Read’s emergency policy providers (e.g. insurance providers for emergency evacuations) for suitability and recommend alternatives if deemed necessary.
- Develop a draft Safety and Security Policy for Room to Read based on the risk assessment and security review.
- Provide recommendations for implementation of the safety and security policy at Room to Read including but not limited to: country specific safety and security manual; incident management leveraging existing Room to Read information systems; awareness and capacity building; travel management and support.
- Provide an estimate of the resources needed to sustain long-term support of the commitment including the need for:
- additional human and/or financial resources;
- an online educational training or awareness program for the workforce (annualized, onboarding).
- Safety and security framework that includes:
- Analysis of risks for Room to Read’s global programs and operations
- Draft Safety and Security Policy
- Assessment findings of Room to Read’s emergency policy providers
- Resourcing estimate for implementation
- Recommendations to achieve minimum acceptable security standards
Draft and final assessments should be submitted electronically to the Associate Director of Global Operations, Room to Read.
Room to Read expects the consultant or firm to leverage their existing expertise to develop a work plan. Data and information for the assignment can be gathered from past experiences and findings from previous organizations or clients, and collected through research sourced from international sources, benchmark studies, reports, etc. Additionally, Room to Read expects the consultant or firm to gather information on Room to Read’s way of operating globally and its existing expertise and knowledge to inform its work. This should include interviews with global leadership of the organization, multiple departments (e.g. Development, Program Design and Technical Assistance, Program Operations and People Operations, Finance, IT) and global field leadership including Country Directors, and other stakeholders.
- Minimum ten years of strong humanitarian operations management experience, with significant or total responsibility for safety and security risk management, or an equivalent combination of INGO, public and private sector safety and security experience
- Extensive international field experience in multiple regions and a demonstrated understanding of operating in complex and insecure work environments across conflict, post-conflict, development and stable contexts. Ability to adapt security strategies to varying international contexts.
- Aptitude in applying a holistic safety and security risk management approach including integration into strategic planning, risk identification and risk mitigation tactics.
- Strong acumen in developing security and risk assessments, safety and security policies, procedures, and trainings.
- A keen understanding of risk and threat analysis
Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply with their CVs along with a brief proposal inclusive of their (a) technical approach, (b) draft implementation plan, and (c) past experience narrative of no more than three (3) past projects that demonstrate the candidate’s experience managing and executing projects/activities of similar size, scope, and complexity. The proposal should not exceed four (4) pages and should describe sound technical approaches that meet the objectives of this work, as described in the ‘Activities’ section.
Global Office - Remote - United States
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled