MPHI is a Michigan-based and nationally engaged, non-profit public health institute. We are a team of teams, process and content experts, dedicated to building A world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
Title: Program Director
$80,000 - $110,000 / Posted thru: 5-31-21
Work Location: Detroit, MI (Remote During Covid)
Purpose: Directs and oversees the planning, implementation, operation, and evaluation of projects within a new center based in Detroit, Michigan. This center is dedicated to community engaged public health initiatives with a current focus on maternal and child health programs and equity in health outcomes. Additionally, this center works in partnership with a coalition of stakeholder organizations addressing health and healthcare. The Director ensures efficient operation of program initiatives and center’s alignment to the overall MPHI mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative direction and leadership in the design, development, implementation of projects within the center.
- Lead and coordinate program activities, including analyzing project needs, developing workplans and timelines and writing progress and evaluation reports. Ensure service and contract obligation and/or goals are met.
- Document and report on project activities and status to the Chief Program Officer, including business development activities.
- Provide oversight for the recruitment, hiring, supervision, evaluation, and development of personnel.
- Compete successfully for grants/contracts and expand the resource based available for support of center and MPHI and operations.
- Provide financial oversight, including development and management of budgets, tracking of project expenses, and obtaining funding to ensure sound fiscal responsibility of the center. Maintain a balance between program income and expenses.
- Ensure compliance with MPHI Institution Research Review Board and HIPAA Privacy Panel policies and procedures.
- Monitor the quality of all project activities and deliverables; monitor and ensure client satisfaction.
- Ensure compliance with MPHI and the center's policies and procedures.
- Develop program priorities, goals and strategic action plans.
- Serve as a liaison between MPHI leadership, the center, and its partners, clients, and contractors in the generation, development, implementation, and evaluation of projects.
- Disseminate through meetings with clients and contractors, publications, professional conferences, teaching, community meetings, and other public policy forums, the findings of the center's projects.
- Generate public confidence, interest, and participation in program activities and projects.
- Review literature and other professional/educational information to keep abreast of developments in the program topic areas.
- Serves on task forces, committees, etc., as necessary to achieve the desired outcomes of specific project and facilitate the development of linkages between the Institute and other organizations engaged in similar activities at the national and regional levels.
- Establish and maintain positive, strong, credible, professional and interpersonal relationships with all parties relevant to MPHI projects, including government and university officials and faculty, and foundation representatives.
- Maintain and represent the best interests of MPHI at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Master’s degree in public health, social science or related field required. Ph.D. in relevant discipline preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 8 years of related and progressively more responsible experience in program development, planning and management; community engagement; and administrative leadership. Experience in interfacing with healthcare systems is strongly preferred.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Demonstrated skills in engaging diverse partners.
- Excellent communication, written, and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and small group interaction capabilities; ability to work in team situations.
- Strong mentoring, negotiation, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective supervisor.
- Sensitivity to social, cultural, and political environment issues.
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts to a wide variety of groups in a culturally sensitive way.
- Ability to assimilate information from a variety of sources, analyze information, and recommend course of action to be taken.
- Ability to work well under pressure, with short timeframes and multiple, competing demands.
- Creativity in problem-solving.
- Commitment to timely completion of projects and responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Must have ability to work at a computer and operate normal office equipment. The position may require moderate physical effort including lifting materials and equipment of <50# and involves viewing a CRT or VDT screen 25% to 75% of the time. Standard office environment. May require valid vehicle operator’s license where needed to perform duties of the position. May require travel (local and out-state) including overnight stays for multi-day trips.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: The person in this role will directly supervise, approve work hours entered in the payroll system, approve time off requests by staff, provide coaching and mentoring, and conduct the performance review of support staff. Supervisors also make effective recommendations for staff hiring, discipline and performance review plans when warranted.
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: The conduct of this position has a substantial impact on the reputation and continued viability of both the center and MPHI. This position interacts with clients, potential clients and stakeholders concerning projects that influence MPHI’s reputation, financial position, and its ability to respond appropriately to the interest of its partners.
Contact Person/Group Frequency Purpose
Supervision, Planning, & Mentoring
“For purposes of employment standards, this classification is “Exempt” from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.”