The David H. Sonabend Center for Israel fosters deeper understanding and connections between the diverse Jewish community in New York, and the people of Israel. Through diverse programming, the JCC is a respected home of Israeli content and a place to explore and grow. We are seeking a dynamic Director for the Sonabend Center for Israel who will be responsible for all programmatic, budgetary and supervisory operations for the Center. The Center Director develops innovative programmatic ideas and builds meaningful relationships with the community, experts, donors and partners. This is a leadership position within staff and a key position in the cultivation of donors and lay leaders with a significant role in grants and proposals for fundraising. During Covid, this job is responsible for the development and execution of virtual programs in the key areas outlined below; in-person programming will resume in the summer and fall, 2021.
Program Development and Management:
Israel Forum: A signature program of the Center for Israel, the Israel Forum seeks to change the tenor of the discussion around Israel by inviting luminary thinkers across a range of perspectives to address the real issues facing Israel today. This role works closely with the program's funder to establish quarterly goals for the Israel Forum, determine the subject matter to be covered, identity speakers and moderators, and build audiences to engage around these important issues.
Israelis at the J: Israelis at the J is a program launched with funding from the Israeli Government in January 2021 to meaningfully engage Israeli Americans at the JCC. Programs are hosted primarily in Hebrew, and are intended to meet the needs of our Israeli communities. With the support of our Senior Israel Educator, the Center hosts programs approx 1x/week with focuses ranging from Kabbalat Shabbat for families, Celebrating Jewish Holidays outside of Israel, Yom Ha'azamut celebrations, and more.
Other programming related to Israel: Develop time-sensitive programs related to Israeli current events, Jewish holidays and communal needs, including Teen pairing program for American and Israeli youth.
- Relationship Management and External Relations: Develop partnerships with individuals and organizations from the US and Israel. Leadership role within the Israel-American community, supporting and collaborating with major initiatives and institutions.
- Cultivation and Fundraising: Key role in all fundraising efforts for the arts; manage and cultivate Advisory Council for the Sonabend Center. Work closely with grant writers. Seek out new prospects for funding.
- Budget Oversight: Responsible for all budgets of the Center.
- Supervision of part time staff
- Collaboration: Work closely with lay leaders, partner organizations and other Center directors to align all Israel programming at the JCC
We are looking for a passionate, organized and hard-working individual with a background in Israel-related work. As a non-partisan non-profit organization, we seek a Center Director who will bring balance to this work with a goal of supporting the community's education on a wide array of issues related to Israel.
- Experience in non-profit organizations with a focus on Israel
- Deep understanding of Israel and the Israeli/American community
- Prior experience running public programs and events
- Proven track record in all aspects of fundraising
- Highly organized, passionate, self-starter
- Great interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Computer literacy
- Hebrew fluency preferred
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience
- College degree preferred
85,000 - 95,000
Together with our community, the Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan creates opportunities for people to connect, grow, and learn within an ever-changing Jewish landscape. The JCC imagines Jewish life that is diverse and engages meaningfully with its values, culture, and ideas in everyday lives.