Waterman’s Community Center, a 501(c)(3) charitable corporation, is seeking a responsible, creative, and dynamic self-starter as Lead Instructor for our Summer Urchins Camp.
Summer Urchins is a summer day-camp offered to year-round and summer visiting children, 1 to 3 years old. Camp themes change weekly and encourage learning, sensory development, social skills, and self-discovery. The Lead Instructor manages the Assistant Instructor and Camp Intern, and works directly with the WCC office. Camp runs mid-June through the end of August, Monday–Friday 9:00am-1:00pm. Contracted dates should be strictly upheld, and staff will be available and responsible for full participation on all days contracted, barring any extraordinary circumstances.
Applicants must have professional experience working with preschool-age children. Instructors are strongly encouraged to commit to the full summer camp session (appx. 10 weeks).
- Arrive between 8:15-8:30am to prepare paperwork and assist with check-in, leave no earlier than 1:15pm to assist with check-out and follow-up with WCC staff and parents.
- Plan, create, and implement curriculum.
- Communicate with parents. Follow all confidentiality policy.
- Ensure camper safety at all times.
- Manage Assistant Instructor and Camp Intern. Communicate daily with WCC staff.
- Lead daily schedule. Set-up and clean-up after each activity.
- Active participant in daily activities, engaging with campers as appropriate.
- Serve as a role model for campers during (and outside) of camp hours. Must demonstrate exemplary verbal communication skills, respect for camp policy and protocol, empathy and kindness toward others, sensitivity toward camper & family confidentiality, and community mindedness.
- Lead all other aspects of the program as needed, including administration and paperwork.
- Monday–Friday from 8:15am–1:15pm, plus prep & clean up depending on schedule.
- Weekly Friday meetings with WCC staff.
- Love of working with young children.
- Willingness to ask questions, learn, and participate as an active leader.
- Self-motivated, attentive, curious.
- Ability to problem-solve, think creatively, assess risk, remain calm, and use supportive and encouraging language.
- Experience working with preschool-age children.
- Interest in early childhood education.
- Interest in/experience with experiential education and outdoor leadership.
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills with ability to receive feedback.
- Must work well with others as a team player.
- First-Aid/CPR certification (training may be available on island).
WCC will provide at least one training session and one performance evaluation session to check-in, offer feedback, and ensure job duties and expectations are understood and completed with follow-up.
Hours/Pay: 25-30 hours/week, $15.00-$17.00/hr. depending on experience and job performance. Paid bi-weekly. 10-week commitment strongly encouraged.
To apply please fill out Waterman's standard application here, in addition to submitting a resume and short statement of interest to email@example.com