The Office of Development and University Relations at The University of Tampa has a position available for a Director of Volunteer Engagement. This position is responsible for innovating, leading and coordinating The University of Tampa’s volunteer engagement program. The program will align with the department’s overarching goals to engage the local community through the mobilization of individuals to achieve the University’s mission. Building relationships with both corporate and community volunteers, the director will ensure an efficient and effective volunteer base of support for the organization. The director will also interact with all functional areas of the organization and be accountable for coordinating strategies, operational plans, metrics and innovative initiatives to move our work forward in a substantial way. Key objectives and measurements for the position are measuring programmatic ROI and percentage of giving from people who volunteer.
- Works independently but in conjunction with the Director of Alumni Engagement (Director) and collaborates to help build, refine, enhance and sustain high level or leadership volunteer boards.
- Builds positive, strategic relationships with campus partners to advance projects, while providing the highest level of support and customer service.
- Develop a plan with Director of Alumni Engagement that advances the organization’s strategies to increase engagement and deepen relationships with individuals, new target audiences and affiliated organizations.
- In coordination with colleagues in the schools/colleges/units coordinates and manages events, strategy meetings, board meetings and campus visits by volunteers and prospective volunteers.
- Shared oversight responsibility for the engagement of community members in volunteer positions that impact fundraising, communications, event management and community relations.
- Shared oversight responsibility for the recruitment and activation of Board of Counselors and Board of Fellows to meet the University’s philanthropic goals.
- Provides management, leadership and oversight for projects that emerge from strategic priorities, ensuring timelines and objectives are met.
- Generates relevant content for volunteer audiences to increase engagement and promote UT’s activities, events, programs, and services.
- Communicate with constituents using various digital and print media and channels such as the website, social media accounts and e-newsletters.
- Maintains relationships with a portfolio of 200 + volunteers.
- Responsible for conducting 10 personal visits with volunteers monthly.
- Serves as the primary liaison with all committees and assists in crafting responsibilities and protocols for each committee member to ensure goals and expectations are achievable.
- Strategically designs and executes events and complex meetings with Director for university-wide volunteers based on industry best practices.
- Administer the development, implementation, and growth of volunteer programs and events, including but not limited to signature events. Develop innovative ways to engage or reconnect volunteers to the University.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A minimum of three to five years of constituent relations experience in a similar role including event planning, volunteer management, or fundraising; three to five years’ experience in a non-profit or higher education organization preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, specifically the ability to work with groups and organizations, both internal and external to the University.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks, adapt to changing priorities, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and digital communication tools.
- Ability to manage and motivate volunteers.
- Ability to travel.
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record.
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn quickly The University of Tampa software programs such as Workday and Microsoft Office.
- Willingness to embrace new technologies and innovative organizational practices.
Please be sure to attach all required documents listed in the attachment box at the bottom of the "My Experience" page of the application before continuing through the application.
1. Cover letter
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Summer: Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Travel, evenings and weekends as required.
To receive full consideration for employment with The University of Tampa, please be sure to submit/upload required documents for this position at time of application submission. Required documents should be submitted in the attachment box at the bottom of the "My Experience" page of the application before continuing through the application.
Background Check Requirements
Finalists may be required to submit to a criminal background check. Some positions may also require a motor vehicle report and/or a credit report.
This description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not to determine specific duties and responsibilities for any particular position. Essential functions and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific task assigned to the position.