Cure SMA leads the way to a world without spinal muscular atrophy, the number one genetic cause of death for infants. We fund and direct comprehensive research that drives breakthroughs in treatment and care, and we provide families the support they need for today.
Cure SMA is seeking a Research Specialist to lead the coordinatization of the day-to-day activities of an Industry Collaboration for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). The SMA Industry Collaboration (SMA-IC) is a is a multi-faceted partnership that brings together pharmaceutical companies, Cure SMA, and other organizations to address scientific, clinical, regulatory, and education topics that are critical to advancing drug development in SMA.
The Research Specialist will report to the Director of Clinical Affairs, and support the SMA-IC team to achieve project milestones and deliverables in a timely fashion. The Research Specialist will also provide administrative support to the Chief Scientific Officer with small, periodic, departmental projects, as needed.
Essential Function/Responsibility with associated competencies
Program Administration and Coordination
- Assist in the preparation of reports pertaining to key collaboration efforts for both internal and external parties.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of research projects, including literature review, protocol development and preparation, IRB application, and recruitment
- Work with the Director of Clinical Affairs and SMA-IC program leads to schedule meetings, generate agendas, assist in the preparation and distribution of meeting materials, and prepare bi-monthly meeting minutes
- Contribute to data analysis and the presentation programmatic results, drafting abstracts/posters
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to a positive team dynamic of high-energy collaboration, innovative thinking, operational excellence and results focus
- Educate self on SMA research landscape with focus on clinical drug development and regulatory concerns
- Help to produce materials for SMA community about basic research, drug development, and clinical trials as assigned
- Participate and attend relevant scientific meetings
- Assist the Director of Research and Clinical Affairs as assigned
- BA, BS, or MS in a scientific discipline
- Minimum of two years preferable, with experience in an academic clinical / research setting, an industry environment, or with a similar non-profit organization.
- Previous knowledge of SMA a plus but not required.
- Project Management Skills with organizational abilities
- Excellent Communicator (written, verbal, presentations)
- Superb attention to detail
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Analytical skills/statistical analyses (SPSS a plus)
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams and departments
- Strong time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfortability dealing with all levels within the organization
- Intellectual curiosity
- Working Knowledge of biology and scientific research processes required
- The position will require maintaining projects budgets established by the research department leadership.
- Position will interact with Director of Clinical Affairs and Chief Scientific Officer to overcome major project hurdles as a team.
Physical Requirements of Position:
- Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require walking, standing for long periods of time, bending, or reaching.
- Position will be at the Cure SMA National Office
- Attendance at 1 week Annual Conference is required
- Attendance at various collaboration meetings is required