The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The Trustee Chair in Chinese Business and Economics is dedicated to providing thought leadership for the policy community about the dynamics of China’s economy and its implications for industries and other countries. Our work – research, publications, events & outreach – focuses on the overall trajectory of China’s economy, their high-tech innovation drive, and America’s China policy.
The Trustee Chair in Chinese Business and Economics is seeking one full-time or part-time research intern who can provide dedicated support for research and analysis, during the period from June 14, 2021 until September 3, 2021. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, professional, and has a strong interest in China’s political economy, domestic and international. The research intern supports the research agenda of the program, engagement events, and promotional activities. Specific tasks include:
- Assisting in quantitative and qualitative research, analysis, and writing for articles, event summaries, and other such projects as dictated by program needs
- Assisting in managing Trustee Chair social media
- Providing logistical and administrative support for ongoing programs and projects
- Performing a variety of other Trustee Chair related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be at least a current undergraduate senior. Current graduates and recent graduates preferred. Applicants currently enrolled in or those that have recently completed a master’s degree are preferred. Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Must be able to commit to 20 or 35 hours a week
- Must have quantitative research experience
- Must have strong research, analysis, and writing skills
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Must have the ability to manage competing priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Must demonstrate academic/professional background in Chinese industrial policy or China’s macroeconomy and financial markets
- Must be able to read Chinese-language documents
- Experience curating social media platforms preferred
- Experience using Bloomberg Terminal preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performances of duties require the use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply by no later than April 23, 2021. All applicants must submit the following in PDF format:
1. A resume and cover letter in one PDF document.
2. A short (no more than 3 pages) and complete writing sample related to Chinese industrial policy or macroeconomy and financial markets. A writing sample that demonstrates skill in quantitative methods is preferred.
3. School transcript.
4. A list of 2 references (including reference’s name, title, affiliation, email address, and phone number).