ABOUT LIBRARY FOUNDATION OF LOS ANGELES
The Library Foundation of Los Angeles provides critical support to the Los Angeles Public Library resulting in free programs, resources, and services available to the millions of adults, children, and youth of Los Angeles.
Since 1992, the Library Foundation of Los Angeles has been a vital asset to the millions of adults, children and youth throughout Los Angeles, providing critical support to the 73 locations of the Los Angeles Public Library. Through fundraising, advocacy, and innovative programs, the Foundation has raised over $125 million, which has created programs that promote literacy, equipped libraries with updated technology, and a continued dedication to keeping the Library open and thriving for generations to come.
Reporting to the President, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) leads all financial functions of the Foundation, including accounting, budgeting, managing investments and grant funds, overseeing contracts and gift annuities, and providing oversight of payroll and Human Services. A strategic leader, the ideal candidate is an exceptional communicator and collaborator, who will be proactive about strengthening financial systems across all departments. An active member of the leadership team, the CFO will plan effectively, improve efficiency, minimize and manage risk. They will formulate and implement policies and plans to meet strategic objectives, while protecting and growing the assets of the Foundation in order to expand support of the Los Angeles Public Library.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a team of three, including the Senior Accountant, Director of HR, and part-time assistant, providing management and mentorship that aligns with the strategic goals and core values of the Foundation.
- Participate as an active member of the leadership team, providing a united, open and visible leadership presence, including effective collaboration across all departments.
- Strive to meet the goals of the current strategic plan through collaboration with management and Board of Directors.
- Promote company-wide initiatives, including assessing future opportunities for growth, and potential challenges and shortfalls.
- Review all risk management policies and procedures, including insurance coverage, disaster recovery planning, and IT protection and backup.
- Provide regular reports to the Board of Directors, including serving as the primary staff to the Audit and Investment Committees.
- Interface with Foundation Store Director, providing monthly financials and trends.
Finance and Accounting
- Develop and maintain budget and financial forecasting, internal controls, and reporting strategies to ensure that fiscal management is accurate, clear, and timely; aligned with the organization’s overall strategy and mission; and in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, contract funding regulations, donor stipulations, and applicable laws.
- Prepare, evaluate, review, and report on specific budgets and cash flows for supporting the signature programs and services of the Los Angeles Public Library including A/P and A/R.
- Work continuously to improve internal processes and controls, and assess operations and all programs against budget, cash flow projections, long-term sustainability, and the overall effectiveness of the Foundation.
- Work with the Board Treasurer and Audit Committee to conduct financial reviews, including working with the Foundation’s independent auditors to ensure positive findings regarding financial management.
- Ensure accurate accounting for all grants, donations, investments and other funds received by the Foundation.
- Provide timely reports to other departments, including grants, donations and financial trends.
- Manage all cash transfers between operating, investment and endowment accounts.
- Undergraduate degree in accounting, finance or related discipline, graduate degree in business or related discipline preferred.
- Successful track record of progressive responsibility in accounting and financial management, including managing an annual operating budget greater than $5M and the supervision and management of financial staff.
- Effective oral and written communications skills, including writing comprehensive reports and insightful presentations to management and the Board of Directors.
- Experience with financial accounting and analysis, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience with managing nonprofit investments/endowments preferred.
- Experience in Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge and nonprofit accounting software preferred.
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize, lead, coordinate, and implement projects and meet deadlines when faced with multiple demands.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, including demonstrated ability to improve and upgrade internal systems and procedures.
- Commitment to supporting colleagues and maintaining effective productivity and high morale.
The Library Foundation of Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Library Foundation of Los Angeles does not discriminate against any person because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, political affiliation or citizenship. All qualified applicants, including minorities and women, are encouraged to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Library Foundation of Los Angeles offers a generous benefits package including vacation and sick time, paid holidays, medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k Matching, life insurance, short term disability insurance, AD&D insurance, Employee Assistance Program, AFLAC, Flexible Spending Account, Metro pass.
Envision Consulting was retained by The Library Foundation of Los Angeles in their search for a Chief Financial Officer.