Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to end school shootings
and create a culture change that prevents violence and other harmful acts that hurt children. Through its life-saving, evidence-informed Know the Signs prevention programs, SHP educates and empowers youth and adults to recognize, intervene, and get help for individuals who may be socially isolated and/or at risk of hurting themselves or others. SHP is a moderate, bipartisan organization that supports sensible policy solutions that address the human side of gun violence and make schools safer. SHP is led by several family members whose loved ones were killed in the tragic mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012.
The Action Fund specializes in the tracking, drafting, passing, and implementation of policies designed to increase student safety in their schools, communities, and homes.
Commitment to Racial Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
SHP strives to ensure its culture and work environment reflect the values of race, diversity, equity, and inclusion (REDI) and is responsive to the views and issues of the diverse communities with which we live and work. SHP encourages individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to equity and inclusion to apply.
The State Policy Manager is a member of the Sandy Hook Promise Action Fund. The State Policy Manager can be located anywhere in the United States and will help manage implementation of the Action Fund’s state-level policy agenda, including designing multi-faceted strategies to ensure timely, effective, and equitable rollout of violence prevention policies within SHP’s policy platform. This team member will also interact with community – including organizers, thought leaders, influencers, agency heads, and elected officials. The State Policy Manager reports to the State Policy Director.
- Steer efforts to ensure successful implementation: Primary focus will be on newly enacted state laws which the Action Fund passed and/or in which the team had a leading interest.
- Manage a portfolio of states: Track legislation across the Action Fund’s priority subject areas including efforts to amend, or otherwise change, laws which the policy team played a leading role in passing and/or in which the policy team has a leading interest.
- Develop and maintain expertise: Navigate the process for drafting regulations related to newly passed legislation within/across portfolio of states.
- Track: Remain up to speed on the political and coalition landscape in states with emerging legislative opportunities for the Action Fund and make recommendations regarding next steps.
- Strategy-development: Collaborate with other departments to ensure SHP supporters and allies are properly integrated into implementation strategies, including participating in and/or leading in-person or virtual trainings for the base.
- Partnership development: Sustain partnerships and collaborations with state legislators, agency heads, and other leaders across portfolio of states to ensure timely, effective, and equitable implementation of newly enacted laws.
Please note that these qualifications are ideal, but not required. If you feel you have what it takes to be successful in this role, but don’t meet all the qualifications, make sure to include a cover letter expanding upon how your work makes you a good candidate for this position.
- Minimum of 5 years direct experience with/in policy advocacy at the state, local or federal level. This may include experience attained interning, volunteering, or through paid employment with a nonprofit, state-based agency, elected or appointed official, or in public policy or government affairs.
- Experience tracking legislation and analyzing bills for their immediate and long term impact.
- Experience with state regulations, including state processes for drafting, influencing, and adopting regulations.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects simultaneously, including bringing projects or initiatives to scale.
- Ability to produce high-quality analysis of laws and/or legislation as well as plain-English education resources under short notice and in a variety of formats (e.g. written and verbally).
- Demonstrated experience working directly with diverse communities – such as organizers, local leaders, grassroots influencers, students, parents, or teachers – across differences of race and political party.
- Ability to speak diplomatically to/on sensitive issues – such as gun violence prevention - with those who may not share SHP’s sense of urgency nor fully support SHP’s proposed solutions.
- Familiarity with, and ability to use, the Microsoft suite of programs (e.g. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Performs other duties as required.
Benefits and Salary Range
The salary for this position is $70,000.
SHP offers a competitive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off and holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision
- Employer paid life insurance and short- and long-term disability
- 401k match
- Employer Paid Employee Assistance Program.
Our organization operates within a distributed workforce, allowing for location flexibility across the country for most positions. We provide remote office support for all staff, which includes a laptop, home office reimbursement, and monthly cell phone reimbursement up to $50.
Equal Opportunity Employment
SHP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be an employer of choice: where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic. We are focused on promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and believe deeply in having a workforce comprised of people of all beliefs and backgrounds who seek to prevent gun violence and stop the tragic loss of life. Members of all under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.