The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS Humanitarian Agenda seeks a creative, hard-working, and energetic research assistant to work on a range of substantive and administrative activities in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment. The successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills and have a keen interest in and aptitude for U.S. and global humanitarian policy. The position reports directly to the Director of the Humanitarian Agenda.
The successful candidate for this position will have a familiarity with humanitarian assistance policy and a strong interest in supporting a broad portfolio. Additionally, they will possess exceptional analytical and time management skills. They will have robust research and writing skills, including resourcefulness and creativity in identifying sources and the ability to process large amounts of information in order to discern what is important. They will also be proactive and goals-oriented in balancing a diverse array of tasks. Finally, they will be comfortable working in a small team environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supporting the work of the program through independent research for projects, publications, multimedia, and speaking engagements;
- Editing and fact-checking program materials with a strong attention to detail;
- Contributing to the planning, execution, and follow-up for program events and special projects;
- Leading the design, layout, copyediting, and distribution of program publications;
- Maintaining the program’s social media presence on Twitter; and
- Updating and managing the program’s webpages.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs, International Development, Public Policy/Administration, or related field;
- Must have demonstrated, strong knowledge of humanitarian issues, e.g. policies, programs, stakeholders, bilateral relationships, and multilateral coordination platforms;
- Must possess strong research and strong analytic skills with demonstrated ability to write coherent research reports, concept papers, and short analyses independently, on deadline, and in clear, simple language;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, as well as attention to detail;
- Must possess a self-starting, entrepreneurial mind-set and be able to work well independently and in teams;
- Candidate should possess sound judgment and impeccable integrity, positive attitude, and creative outlook; and
- Eagerness to be part of a hard-working team that is passionate about humanitarian issues.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively present information;
- Experience in a research support role, editing role, or similar substantive support role is an advantage;
- Ability to operate under pressure and in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience with external communications, multimedia production, and social media in a professional setting is a plus.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, and 500-1000 word writing sample here: https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.