Job Title: Research and Insight Officer
Reports To: Vice President for Strategy and Communications
As the Research and Insight Officer, you will be part of the Communications team and will pull together large amounts of information from many different sources to produce original, insightful content that provides timely guidance to Vermont philanthropists. The content you create will be shared via the organization’s emails, blogs, issue briefs, live events, and more as part of multi-channel marketing campaigns and will play an important role in branding the organization as the first stop for anyone who cares about making a difference in Vermont. This position has the potential to grow and take on a broader range of responsibilities related to research and insight.
- You will identify and research topics of interest to Vermont-focused philanthropists. This will involve first-hand interviews and the collection of large amounts of information from online databases, news articles, books, journals, etc.
- You will work with other departments to analyze the information you collect and generate fresh insight about where philanthropy can make a difference in Vermont across a broad range of issues related to community well-being.
- You will produce high-quality content based on the insight you generate. This will be primarily written pieces but could include audio and video as well.
- You will work closely with the communications team to market this content in ways that inspire philanthropists to grow their giving.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A superb writer and storyteller who believes in the power of information to move people to action. You have a strong portfolio of material that showcases your ability to absorb large amounts of information from research, interviews, etc. and turn it into concise, compelling, actionable insight.
- Intensely curious, especially about current issues in VT and what drives those issues. You’re a critical thinker who wants to look under the hood to understand how things work. You’re comfortable thinking at the systems level, and you’re constantly trying to understand what is getting in the way of progress. You can make connections between seemingly unrelated pieces of information.
- An information vacuum. You dive fearlessly into dense reports, long spreadsheets, and vast troves of data. You process complex information fast and can quickly retrieve it to back up your points.
- A build-it-as-you-go kind of person. You appreciate structure but recognize that to get something new off the ground, you need to be adaptable and creative, and be willing to constantly evaluate how to improve.
- A superb time manager with an ability to produce under pressure. You can juggle short-term and long-term projects without letting one interfere with the other. Very tight deadlines don’t scare you or affect your ability to produce high-quality work.
- Completely comfortable working remotely. You can skillfully interview anyone over the phone, file a story from anywhere, and can build strong working relationships with colleagues even when not physically in the same space.
- A background that combines a mix of writing, storytelling, and research.
- An ability to develop effective networking relationships.
- An ability to take the tactical and apply it to executing strategy.
- Experience creating online resource centers for unique audiences.
- Inbound marketing experience is a plus.
About the VCF:
The Vermont Community Foundation inspires giving and brings people and resources together to make a difference in Vermont. A family of hundreds of funds and foundations, we provide the advice, investment vehicles, and back-office expertise that make it easy for the people who care about Vermont to find and fund the causes they love.
Due to the pandemic, the Community Foundation is currently working remotely. We anticipate a return to in-person work when it is deemed safe to do so.
Instructions for applying:
Applications will be accepted through March 5, 2021. Visit vermontcf.org/careers for instructions on where to send your resume, writing samples (URLs that point to published work are fine), and three references.
The Vermont Community Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, age, marital or civil union status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, place of birth, citizenship, military or veteran status, HIV status, genetic information, disability, or any other legally protected status as defined and required by state and federal laws.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $60,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
Company's Facebook page:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19