The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Aspen Digital empowers policymakers, civic organizations, companies, and the public to be responsible stewards of technology and media in the service of an informed, just, and equitable world. The Aspen Digital staff is a diverse team of driven and energetic professionals. We are motivated by the power of technology to change lives, and we work hard to have measurable impact while also pushing ourselves to learn constantly, collaborate and innovate, and take joy from our work.
Your primary role as Project Director is to conceive, develop and lead relevant initiatives as part of Aspen Digital. Included in your remit are our efforts related to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in technology as well as other programs you may design or collaborate on themes ranging from cybersecurity, AI, data policy content moderation, mis- and disinformation, local media, press freedom and so on. The right candidate will be deeply thoughtful about these issues and be familiar with key technologies, their trajectory, and their implications on traditionally marginalized communities. Current DEI related projects can be found here.
Specifically, you will:
- Serve as the primary thought-leader for assigned programs which may include: research, landscape analyses, agenda development, and drafting summaries, reports, blog posts, op eds or similar.
- Take on the primary role in the execution, management and coordination of initiative elements including, roundtables, conferences, fellowships, grantmaking, or other.
- Solicit input from a broad range of stakeholders including institutional leaders, partner organizations, internal colleagues, and funders.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to develop high-quality programming, research, and tools that are responsive to the greatest needs in the field.
- Serve as a sounding board and thought collaborator to all Aspen Digital programming, including the Aspen Cybersecurity Group and our west coast Aspen Tech Policy Hub, and as we act with our international Aspen partners.
Essential duties and responsibilities are as follows. Other responsibilities may be added as necessary.
In consultation with the Executive Directors, team members and constituents:
- Provide thought leadership in your project area
- Draft, develop and refine programming and other outputs
- Identify diverse and balanced participants to inform roundtables and written materials
- Thoughtfully design and research advance material, including background reading compilations
- Research necessary information on programs and stakeholder
- Maintain communication with relevant stakeholders
- Draft and/or edit of material for production and distribution
- Manage and supervise meeting logistics
- Assist with other Aspen Digital initiatives as needed
- Identify opportunities to improve the quality and efficiency of the Program and The Aspen Institute
- Participate in in design and strategic planning for Aspen Digital
Aspen Digital seeks a proven project manager skilled in balancing competing priorities and timelines to deliver high-quality results across multiple projects. Ideal candidates are curious, eager to learn and solve problems, and driven by making an impact.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Professional experience in media and/or tech practices and policy or closely related fields preferred
- Proven leadership and passion around diversity, equity and inclusion in the tech and media industries
- Superb drafting and editing skills. You love writing!
- Excellent project management skills, including a demonstrated ability to run multiple projects with tight and competing deadlines
- Experience organizing meetings and events engaging a variety stakeholder
- A problem-solving orientation and high-quality standards
- A proven collaborator who exhibits patience, great listening skills, resourcefulness, and attention to detail
- Ability to work productively with both internal teams and larger extended teams that include contractors and third-party partners, and ability to build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including high-profile institutional and philanthropic leaders
- Commitment to equity is a must
- Graduate degree strongly preferred, or bachelor’s degree and equivalent experience
Aspen Digital staff grow professionally through collaboration with senior staff and exposure to thought leaders in tech and media, as well as through the many opportunities the position offers for deep learning in the field. We pride ourselves on being entrepreneurial so that our work can reflect the changing nature of the field, and we can nimbly respond to societal needs and opportunities. People who are comfortable with ambiguity and are excited by seeing progress in the field typically do well at Aspen Digital.
All applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- A cover letter. Aspen Digital prefers cover letters that describe what motivates you and how you understand and relate to our mission, rather than a narrative version of your resume. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidate must also have the ability to meet the regular attendance policy of the Aspen Institute.