Position Title: Talent & Evaluations Manager
Reports To: Interim Executive Director/CEO
Status: 30 hrs. week
Compensation: Competitive, commensurate with experience. 100% Employer-
Paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance Premiums. PTO, 401(k)
and Flex Plans also offered.
About Youth UpRising
Our mission is to transform East Oakland into a healthy and economically robust community by
developing the leadership of youth and young adults and improving the systems that impact
them. Located in the heart of East Oakland, YU is a neighborhood hub offering young people
services and programs to increase physical and mental wellbeing, community connection,
educational attainment, and career achievement among youth members.
Youth UpRising offers the successful Talent and Evaluation Manager an opportunity to join a
dynamic non-profit organization with a compelling mission and a successful track record of
attracting, engaging and serving a high-risk population in strategies for personal, professional and
In joining YU’s staff, the Talent and Evaluation Manager will become part of a high-performing,
warm, diverse team that includes people indigenous to the community, those who are deeply
committed to social change, and youth within our target population who help to keep the
organization attuned to the current realities of youth culture.
The new Talent and Evaluation Manager will be positioned for significant success and ongoing
professional growth, as YU develops the programs and practices that position us to become a
national leader in urban community transformation.
The successful candidate will administer and support a varied and complex human resources
function, including human resources talent management, recruitment and selection, training and
development, and employee relations,. S/he also maintains employee records and
documentation, both hard copy, soft-copy, and utilizing information system, when applicable.
S/he will develop distinct but complementary internal programs and services for staff,
incorporating best practices and relevant programs for YU culture.
IMMEDIATE JOB OPENING
In collaboration with the Interim ED/CEO, responsibilities include but are not limited
- Coordinates recruitment efforts, and support hiring managers in strategy, selection and
pre-hire process, ensuring excellent experience for each candidate (whether selected or
- Project current and future staffing needs. Assist in the development of short and long-
range strategic plans for effective recruitment, development, retention and staff
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of an effective and high quality on-
boarding program to ensure a successful beginning of the talent life-cycle.
- Supports the development of Talent metrics and is responsible for tracking and
reporting on those metrics. Maintains statistics necessary to monitor effectiveness of
programs. Ensures accurate reporting for grant deliverables regarding staff.
- Administers performance management and annual evaluation programs.
- Identifies or develops programs to meet staff training requirements in the areas of
management development, skills training, professional development, and other relevant
- Conducts exit interviews and separates employees as they are exiting, including both
voluntary and involuntary terminations.
Qualifications - Minimum Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three-five years of experience in Human Resources, or related experience,
preferably in a fast-paced non- profit
- Administrative experience working in a complex, high-performing organization. At
least three years HR experience, including updating systems, practices and procedures
and exposure to managing worker’s compensation and leave of absence claims.
- Values-based leadership. Highest levels of personal and professional integrity with an
ability to maintain confidential information concerning personal, financial, or medical
- Motivated to complete basic and routine HR tasks. Excellent organizational skills and
ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills including the demonstrated ability
to research, assimilate and analyze information, compose documents, and present data
in a clear and concise manner to appropriate personnel. Capacity to both lead and
participate in cross-functional teams to define issues and agree on processes, strategies
- Well-honed ability to independently anticipate and analyze situations, define problems
and objectives, recognize viable alternatives and formulate solutions, with the ability to
be flexible and adaptable and revise strategies as necessary.
IMMEDIATE JOB OPENING
- Strong technical skills with the ability to balance highly-detailed information with a
bigger-picture view of how it relates to larger organizational goals or issues
- High level of curiosity and interest in partnering with staff as a resourceful problem-
solver in order to develop solutions and processes that meet their needs
- Demonstrated success in providing effective coaching and delegating effectively
- Flexibility and willingness to take a hands-on role when necessary, while also providing
- Sensitivity to the experience of YU’s clients and direct-service staff; prior experience in
community-based research or organizations preferred
- Ability to develop strong relationships within a fast-paced, self-starter setting that values
diverse opinions; enthusiasm for helping drive change as YU becomes a more data-driven
- Proficient in Windows, and Microsoft Office Applications, including MS Word, Excel,
Competency Requirements (cont’d)
• LEADERSHIP - Visionary • Articulates goals and objectives and their value • Acts as a
positive catalyst for change • Models desired behaviors • Able to inspire and organize
others • Builds on strengths and facilitates growth in areas of weakness • Seeks input,
assesses risks and makes decisions • Problem-solving approach to challenges •
• PATIENCE - Able to maintain composure and endure under difficult circumstances •
Compassionate, especially regarding long-term challenges • Able to withhold
judgment/conclusion and take time to inquire into the causes of a situation • Able to
manage expectations and measure success over the long-haul •
- INSIGHT/DISCERNMENT - Able to acutely observe and insightfully perceive a
situation and/or character • Emotionally intelligent and able to reflect on feelings,
motives and needs • Demonstrates good instincts regarding long-term impact and
• PROFESSIONALISM - Adheres to the highest ethical and organizational standards •
Best-practice approach to work • Dependability, rooted in a reliable continuity of
presence, principles and actions • Continuously seeks excellence in what we do and how
we do it •
• SENSE OF HUMOR - Able to be real • Able to see the lighter side of difficult
situations • Ready to laugh •
- MOTIVATIONAL POWER - Able to articulate goals, build excitement and motivate
others to do their best • Able to move people beyond their comfort zone and inspire
them to take strategic risks • Elicits other people’s realization of their maximum
potential • Motivates people to be phenomenal team members • Instills a sense of
ownership and investment in the larger vision • Delegates and builds the leadership of
others • Inspires others to go ‘over and above’ and feel good about it
IMMEDIATE JOB OPENING
How to Apply: Email resume, cover letter and four professional references to
email@example.com. Include “MHC – [Your Name]” in the subject line. Applications
accepted until position is filled.
Youth UpRising is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Youth UpRising strives to reflect the diverse
community it serves. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.