Schedule: Full Time
Pay: $17/hr, benefits-eligible
Volunteers of America, Utah provides a bridge to self-reliance and health for vulnerable individuals and populations who struggle with homelessness, addiction and mental illness in our Wasatch Front communities.
Under the supervision of the YESS (Youth Empowered Solutions to Succeed) Program Manager, the Youth Outreach Specialist will locate, contact, and provide information, referrals, and services to runaway, homeless, and at-risk youth while also increasing community awareness and support.
- Maintain professional interactions with community providers including, emergency services, fire, police and sheriff, criminal justice, staff from other community providers, client family members, agency donors, community support groups and referral sources.
- Educate the local community about the prevalence of runaway, homeless, and at-risk youth and how they can help Volunteers of America, Utah provide services to move youth from the street to a safer alternative living situation.
- Build relationships with local community businesses and providers to support referrals to the Street Outreach Program and inform areas where youth congregate.
- Engage street youth in areas where they congregate.
- Approach and talk to approximately 30 youth per month to build trusting relationships and inform them of alternative living options.
- Distribute “basic needs” supplies such as clothing, first aid supplies, health or hygiene supplies, food, drink, books, blankets, etc. to youth in need
- Assess youth for urgent medical or mental health needs, sexual assault, trafficking and coordinate interventions, as warranted.
- Assist youth in moving off the street by connecting youth to immediate shelter, through Volunteers of America, Utah's Youth Resource Center, Transitional Living Program, or other community-based shelters
- Transport youth to Youth Resource Center, emergency shelter or other resource to support leaving the street and reduce vulnerability to exploitation and abuse.
- Distribute printed material item to each youth encountered. This can include an agency or program brochure, a business card with the agency hotline number, a flier/brochure for a more appropriate community resource.
- Assist the Youth Resource Center intake worker in completing intake paperwork and contacting parents (when needed) for proper permissions to provide services Follow up with all youth contacted, and within 24-48 hours for youth connected to services.
- Document each contact with a youth on the street to include date, name of youth (if willing to give), materials distributed to youth (written, survival aid, etc.), and referrals provided
- Maintain the cleanliness and safety of agency facilities and vehicles.
- Attend and participate in required training and maintain current licensing and training certification requirements.
- Adhere to agency and program policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in the social services field and significant experience with adolescents or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Be willing and able to perform outreach duties in extreme weather conditions, on foot approximately 5 miles/day and/or on bicycle approximately 10 miles per day.
- Certified Case Manager through Utah Health and Human Services completed within 90 days of hire.
- Complete 40-hour Rape Advocacy Training prior to or within 6 months of hire.
- CPR and First Aid certification.
- Current Food Handler's certification.
- Valid Driver's License and ability to drive agency vehicles and transport clients.
- Successfully pass a comprehensive background check
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.