JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Reporting to the Executive Director of Development for Campus and Unit Fundraising, with dotted line reporting to three Vice President/Vice Provost positions, the director oversees a staff of four fundraisers and four support staff based in the Bristol Complex in scenic State College, PA.
The Director works synergistically with four main functional areas: Parent Philanthropy, Student Affairs, Educational Equity and Undergraduate Education and acts as the central clearing house for all parent prospects.The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to manage and work through others as the assigned major gift officers work directly with their academic and programmatic colleagues. The Director must also have significant management experience with demonstrated experience managing diverse teams, success at an institution of considerable organizational complexity, a professional, “can-do” and collaborative approach to work, and proven fundraising achievements.
Specifically, the Director of Development, Parent Philanthropy and University Programs:
- will manage all major gift fundraising and stewardship activities for the Parent Philanthropy office as well as three volunteer fundraising boards
- will mentor, coach and collaborate with the team of major gift officers as they cultivate, close and steward gifts of $50K+ in support of their assigned units and the Penn State comprehensive campaign
- is knowledgeable in growing teams and individual talent and strategically building donor/prospect pools
- demonstrates maturity and tact interfacing with executives at the highest levels of the institution
- shows expertise at principal gift level activity especially as it relates to dealing with parent prospects
- be culturally responsive in developing strong relationships on behalf of the University’s educational equity, diversity and inclusion goals
- possess an affinity for leadership and a solid management background
- is required to operate a motor vehicle as part of job duties.
Key responsibilities include:
- extensive national travel to build enduring relationships and cultivate major and principal level gifts
- identification, cultivation, solicitation of an assigned prospect pool
- meeting an aggressive set of annual personal and unit metrics
- formulation and execution of yearly development plans
- oversight of office staff, day to day functions and routine systems including regular planning meetings, yearly performance evaluations, approval and monitoring of time off, promotion and disciplinary actions, etc.
- management of three volunteer development committees
- articulation of Penn State’s needs, inclusive values, and ambitions through excellent informal and formal communications, including written proposals.
Typically requires a Bachelor's degree plus seven years of work related experience.
Candidate Qualifications include:
- success in front line fundraising with six figure-plus gifts
- passion for and understanding of diverse audiences and under served populations
- exemplary interpersonal and communication skills
- proven ability to self-motivate and work both independently and as part of a team
Penn State has retained Higher Talent, Inc. to manage the recruitment process. Candidates will complete comprehensive reference and background checks. Confidential inquiries and referrals of candidates should direct to Gary Dicovitsky, Vice President/Senior Search Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org . Candidates must complete the online application.
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here .
EEO is the Law
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.