Care Synergy (“Care Synergy”) and Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care (“PPHPC”) are Colorado not-for-profit 501(c)(3)corporations. Care Synergy operates as a parent organization providing mission support services, strategic and operational oversight for its Affiliate organizations, including Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care. Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care is a not-for-profit community based hospice and palliative care organization with its own separate Foundation, having served the Colorado Springs area since 1980.
The Affiliate President has overall responsibility and accountability for the day to day affairs, direction and management of Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care.
The President, in collaboration with organizational leadership, the CEO and the Pikes Peak Board of Directors establishes, implements, and evaluates strategy and initiatives for the organizations that meets and promotes the standards of quality care and contributes to the total success of the organization as well as their mission, vision and values.
The President is responsible for effectively and efficiently leveraging technology, resources and people in enabling Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care to deliver exceptional, unique and differentiating care and services to the patients and families in the communities it serves through the leadership, management and oversight of PPHPC’s staff and volunteers.
The President is responsible and accountable to meet or exceed the Organization’s budget, goals and strategic objectives. The President ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements as set out in federal, state and accreditation standards, laws and regulations as well as Care Synergy Policy and Procedures.
The President represents Pikes Peak Hospice and Palliative Care to the public on a local, state, and national level.
The success of the President will be measured by his/her ability to lead, meet and exceed the operational initiatives and financial metrics of PPHPC and its Hospice and Palliative Care Programs and Services.
KEY REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
The President through a direct reporting relationship reports to the:
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Board of Directors
The President shall be responsible, through a direct reporting relationship, for the following Senior Leadership team positions:
- Director of Clinical Services
- Director of Quality, Compliance & Education
- Director of Business Development
- Medical Director
- Director of Palliative Care
- Director of Grief Support and Volunteer Services
- Executive Assistant
The combined number of associate FTEs across all areas of responsibility for the President are approximately 125.
- Responsible for the day to day leadership, direction and management of the organization to ensure clinical, administrative and financial success.
- Responsible and accountable to meet or exceed the organizations’ annual goals and operating plans, its budgeted financial performance and growth projections/goals.
- In collaboration with the CEO, the President is responsible and accountable for the development, communication, implementation and achievement of effective growth and business development strategies of the organizations.
- Responsible and accountable to meet or exceed the organization’s patient care goals and publicly reported patient/family satisfaction and outcome scores.
- Responsible and accountable for the monitoring, measurement and effectiveness of all internal and external processes. Provides timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the organization to the CEO and Boards of Directors.
- Develop, maintain and strengthen relationships with third parties, other health care providers, regulators, vendors, foundations, major donors, and other key constituents to ensure the success of the organizations.
- Hire, motivate and lead a high performance management team; attract, recruit and retain the members of the senior leadership team. Collaborates with, and provides supervision and support to the organizations’ and Care Synergy’s management team.
- In collaboration with the CEO, oversee the preparation of the annual operating plan including a capital and operating budget for approval by the CEO and the Boards of Directors.
- Monitor, manage and publish monthly financial and other key performance metrics/data reports in a timely fashion in order to allow PPHPC and its Leadership Team to effectively manage their scopes of the responsibilities within the business.
- Work in collaboration with the CEO and other Care Synergy senior executives to achieve the strategic and operational objectives of PPHPC and Care Synergy.
- Attend all meetings of the Pikes Peak Hospice and Palliative Care as well as its Foundation and Board of Trustees Meetings, Care Synergy Board of Directors meetings and, as appropriate, Care Synergy Board Committee Meetings and other Care Synergy meetings.
Community and Industry Involvement
- Maintain a visible role and active engagement in appropriate Industry, Professional and Community organizations and functions.
- Represent Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care and Care Synergy externally to clients, providers, regulators, donors and other constituents.
Policies and Procedures
- Responsible and accountable to ensure compliance with organizational policies and procedures as well as state/federal regulations, statutes and accreditation standards.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the CEO.
Mission-driven - Alignment with Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care and Care Synergy’s mission, vision, values, service philosophy and standards.
Education - Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
Experience - Minimum of ten (10) years’ progressive leadership experience in a highly complex and diversified Hospice/health care company; preferably with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience at the Executive Director/President/CEO level.
Business Acumen - Exhibit executive bearing and sound business judgment; Possess an organizational focus and understand the perspective of different functional areas; fully understand the business, legislative, regulatory, fundraising and competitive environments; Understand and analyze financial and operational information and metrics; Make timely decisions, readily understand complex issues, and develop solutions that effectively address problems.
Results Orientation - Develop and achieve clear, realistic, and challenging goals that are aligned with targeted business results; Possess strong skills in prioritizing and aligning resources to achieve key objectives; Demonstrate an ability to handle multiple and competing priorities simultaneously; Demonstrate an ability to overcome obstacles and challenges in order to meet or exceed the organizations’ goals and objectives; Hold oneself and others accountable for achieving or exceeding the corporate growth and financial metrics.
Leadership - Self-motivated and able to lead and excel in a high pressured environment; Inspire and motivate others to organizational commitment and results; Project and behave as a professional and role model, establish an environment of reliability, trustworthiness and responsibility; Hold oneself and others accountable for living the corporate mission and values; Understand one’s own impact on situations and people.
Communication - Ensure that important information about decisions, plans, and activities is shared with the CEO, Board of Directors, Board of Trustees and Leadership Teams and is disseminated to others within the organizations; Encourage direct and open discussions about important issues; Listen attentively and clarify information for understanding; Speak clearly and confidently, present ideas in a clear, concise, organized and persuasive manner; Written and verbal communications are logical, organized, and coherent using an appropriate business writing style including correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Developing and Empowering Others - Motivate others to perform at their best; Promote effective teamwork; Present clearly defined expectations and timely constructive feedback and encouragement on performance and results; assume a supportive and guidance role in mentoring associates along a professional growth continuum; Recognize and reward associates’ achievements.
Accountability - Demonstrate a results-commitment, accepting responsibility for goal accomplishment within deadlines; Align resources to accomplish key objectives; Assign clear accountability for important objectives; Execute appropriate work-planning to address prioritization, resource needs and corrective actions; Meet or exceed project or initiative deadlines.
Service Excellence Mindset - Models, leads, and motivates all associates to be excellent in our service philosophy and our service standards.
Strategic Focus - Make significant contributions to the development and execution of Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care, its Foundation and Care Synergy’s strategic plans; inspire, motivate and align associates to achieve the strategic vision, objectives and plans for Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care, its Foundation and Care Synergy; and, apply innovative thinking and creativity in tactical improvements and strategic execution.