The United Methodist Foundation of West Ohio is seeking an Executive Director who will lead the strategic vision of the Foundation and promote the spirit of generosity and investment services compatible with the Social Principles of The United Methodist Church. This leader will also serve local churches and individuals of the West Ohio Area by providing resources and services for planned giving, fund management and financial stewardship.
The ideal candidate will be a dedicated Christ follower, have a minimum of five years of related experience, be able to create connections with a diverse audience, and possess a talent for raising funds and helping others do the same. Please see job description for a complete list of responsibilities and requirements.
A little background:
The West Ohio Conference Council on Development is transitioning to the United Methodist Foundation of West Ohio. The Foundation will serve all the congregations and individuals across the 58 counties of the conference and 1100 congregations. The Foundation will build on the strengths of the Council on Development’s success of 40 years in raising over $70M for mission and ministry, managing $28M in endowments as well as serving as a source for stewardship education, promoting generosity, legacy planning, and providing consultation for capital campaigns. For more information about the West Ohio Conference visit our website at www.westohioumc.org.
This position includes a competitive salary and benefits package including health, dental, vision, disability and life, a generous retirement match and amazing vacation policy. All of this in a “Best Christian Workplace” certified environment.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Mike Kremnitzer, Director of Benefits and HR, at email@example.com.
1. Professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
2. Active faith within a Christian faith community with significant knowledge of or willingness to learn about United Methodist beliefs, practices, and organizational structure; a passion for communicating the United Methodist story in creative and powerful ways
3. Commits to personal spiritual growth through regular study of Scripture and prayer
4. Considers this position a ministry calling, not simply a job
5. Demonstrates the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control) as a byproduct of a growing faith
Professional Responsibilities (Essential)
1. Oversee principal Foundation services, including fund management, stewardship education, local church finance consultation, planned giving, endowment fund promotion and capital campaign guidance
2. Work in collaboration with the Board of Directors and its Committees to ensure that the board agenda and tasks of each committee are accomplished in an appropriate and timely manner
3. Cultivate relationships with major donors, Conference, and local Church clergy and lay leadership
4. Consult with local church clergy and laity to assist with local church investment planning, financial stewardship education, church finances, capital campaign readiness and planned giving efforts
5. Assist prospects, donors, and their advisors with charitable gifts
6. Monitor the status of Foundation operations and contract with appropriate professionals and firms to ensure compliance with all legal and tax requirements
7. Coordinate the Foundation marketing, website, and communication efforts
8. Represent the interests of the Foundation with respective conference boards, committees, agencies and other denominational entities of the West Ohio Conference of The United Methodist Church
9. Participate in denominational and ecumenical groups for updating areas of Foundation work and coordinating resources with other United Methodist Foundations
10. Attend continuing education events annually to broaden knowledge, sharpen skills and gain a better understanding of organizational leadership, non-profit management, planned giving, endowments and charitable fund investment
11. Supervise Foundation staff and provide organizational leadership for the staff, and Board of Directors
1. Leadership: Ability to lead diverse groups of people
2. Communication: Proven ability to facilitate conversations that results in shared ownership from multiple stakeholders
3. Self-starter: Highly focused, responsive, initiative driven organizational management
4. Strategic thinker: Ability to see the future
5. Perseverance: Ability to make the future vision a reality
6. Problem-Solver: Capable of finding creative solutions to challenges and obstacles
7. Trustworthy and professional: Commitment to abide by a strict code of confidentiality and to positively represent the Conference in word, deed and attitude
8. Recruitment: Capability to attract, equip and empower high caliber volunteers and collaborators
9. Iron Sharpener: Comfortable securing accountability of others as iron sharpens iron
10. Theologically grounded: Discerning with a solid understanding of United Methodist polity, doctrine, and practice
11. Networking: Displaying a relational mindset
Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
2. Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) Certification preferred
3. Minimum of five years of related experience in fundraising, event management and/or volunteer management
4. Knowledge of Investment Options
5. Experience in asset-based community engagement and developing relationships of mutuality and trust across diversity
6. Communication, marketing, and public relations experience
This job operates in a professional office environment and in congregations and communities across the West Ohio Conference. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Expected to travel across the conference as much as 25% of the time.