Office of Development Overview
The Office of Development's primary purpose is one of service and fundraising. These efforts include working closely with the Bishop, diocesan senior staff, Catholic Charities senior staff, pastors, parishioners and community members to increase giving to the Catholic Diocese of Arlington and its various programs and entities. The Office assists with programs that encourage financial stewardship from parishioners to meet operational and capital needs and also designs and implements comprehensive development programs that encourage financial giving and provides financial resources for ministries, programs and services of the diocese, parishes and Catholic Charities.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Office of Development, the Major and Strategic Gifts Program Director is responsible for the diocesan Major Gifts Program as well as the personal management of a portfolio of prospects through the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship process for a targeted major gifts initiative. Prospective donors include parishioners, board members, foundations, and corporations that can give major gifts for capital and endowment needs beyond annual diocesan operational funding. The Director works closely with the Bishop and other senior staff members in cultivating and soliciting gifts in the focus areas below:
The Director works closely with the Bishop of Arlington, Vicar General and Executive Director of the Office of Development to identify and develop case for support to fund diocesan strategic needs. The director assists in raising gifts at the $25,000 and above level from current and prospective donors.
Donor Stewardship and Cultivation
The Director implements a broad, high-level donor stewardship program that includes periodic faith formation and stewardship interaction with the Bishop, CDA Executive Staff Clergy and Lay members. This may include production of related print and visual media materials and ongoing events.
Catholic Charities Major Gifts and the Annual Ball Gala
The Director assists Catholic Charities in extraordinary fundraising at the $25,000+ gift level to help increase the support, expansion, and sustainment of program offerings. The Director assists the CCDA President and CEO, their Executive Staff and Board Members with top donor engagement for the Charities Ball and serves as advisor to Catholic Charities' Director of Development Programs as needed.
Diocesan High Schools Overview
The Director assists the diocesan high schools who are conducting capital campaigns with strategic major gift efforts at the $50,000+ gift level, while also ensuring that solicitations are in accord with the efforts of the diocese.
- Develop, maintain and update a case statement that supports major gift program needs identified and approved by the Bishop.
- Develop, implement and oversee an effective major gifts program, ensuring that related activities integrate successfully with the activities and services of other CDA offices and departments.
- Assist with the raising of gifts at the $25,000 and above gift level from current and prospective donors.
- Assist Catholic Charities in extraordinary fundraising at the $25,000 and above level.
- Assist the CCDA President and CEO, their Executive Staff and Board Members with top donor engagement for the annual Charities Ball.
- Assist the diocesan high schools who are conducting capital campaigns with strategic major gifts efforts at the $50,000+ gift level.
- Oversee donor research of diocesan database or other sources to identify individuals, foundations or corporations with ability and propensity to make gifts of $25,000 or more.
- Develop marketing efforts, including written collateral material, to support major gifts program.
- Design and execute successful donor cultivation and solicitation strategies.Coordinate and document prospect identification and donor movements by recording all visits with potential donors in the Major Gifts files and the iMIS database.Develop and implement a broad, high-level donor stewardship program for periodic donor formation and stewardship interaction with the Bishop, CDA Executive Staff Clergy and Lay members.
- Ensure ongoing stewardship and follow up take place as gifts are made.
- Develop operational and program goals that comply with professional fundraising standards.
- Work with the Bishop and diocesan leaders to identify, recruit, secure and keep engaged lay parishioners and priests to serve as major gift program leadership committee members.
- Serve as advisor to the Director of Development Programs for Catholic Charities as needed.
- Working knowledge of how a Catholic donor's faith integrates with stewardship and giving
- High energy and passion for the mission of the Catholic Church
- Understanding of the Church's organizational structure and operations
- Strong interpersonal relations skills, emotional intelligence and orientation towards customer service
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to articulate ideas clearly, concisely and professionally
- Active listening
- Keen attention to detail
- Demonstrated facilitation and presentation skills
- Ability to apply critical thinking to solve problems in an everyday work setting
- Ability to work independently, but also to work collaboratively – fostering teamwork and addressing conflict constructively and timely
- Ability to develop, manage and evaluate programs that align individual program goals with strategic goals and objectives and to formulate recommendations to improve program delivery and management
- Strong time and project management skills
- Ability to prioritize effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to create basic documents, spreadsheets, presentations and emails using MS Word, Excel, Power Point and MS Outlook
- Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
- Years and Types of Experience: 8 – 10 years' experience providing professional fundraising counsel or serving in a non-profit staff fundraising position as well as experience managing a staff required. Prior experience working with the Catholic Church preferred.