This position will support the Foundation’s mission by helping lead the organization in developing new individual donors, re-engaging former board members and individuals who contributed in the past as well as managing and enhancing current relationships. At the direction of the Executive Vice President, External Affairs (EVP), and in collaboration with the Director, Board Engagement, the Director, Major Gifts (Director) will develop and implement an aggressive plan to grow the base of individual donors committed to the Foundation’s mission and strategic goals. Strong communication skills are required in order to articulate the Foundation’s mission, goals and programs and to successfully “make the case” for support, as is the ability to interact effectively with high profile individuals. The position will work closely with the Executive Director/CEO and the EVP to coordinate development activities, and will work across the five Regional Offices to implement the strategy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing the individual major donor program to meet the Foundation’s major gifts fundraising goal and build the individual donor base. The Director is responsible for direct solicitation of gifts as well as for coordination of other staff and board members in additional cultivation and solicitation.
- Cultivate, solicit and manage prospective individuals for major gifts to support the Foundation’s strategic goals.
- Develop and implement a funding strategy for individual donations in consultation and coordination with the CEO and EVP.
- Develop prospect strategies and help lead all facets of the donor engagement process including donor research, meeting set up, preparation of briefings and marketing materials, follow up proposals, reports and acknowledgements.
- Develop and implement portfolios of prospects for cultivation and solicitation and provide on-going support.
- In consultation with the EVP, provide direct support staffing to the Executive Director for his/her major donor related responsibilities, such as material preparation for meetings, and any relevant follow-up communications.
- Work closely with the Communications Department to develop case statements, power-point presentations and collateral materials.
- Manage portfolio of prospects, and provide information on prospects for development tracking database system.
- In consultation with CEO and EVP, maintain consistent and quality based communications with donors.
- Consistent with the goals set forth by the EVP, create, execute and evaluate an annual plan for donor development.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and on short notice.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with relevant activities necessary for accurate reporting of individual donors in Annual Report.
- At the direction of the EVP, and working closely with the Director, Board Engagement and Events, assist in relationship management of individuals at major fundraising events.
- Recommend and lead efforts to improve existing processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS)
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum five years’ experience in successful fundraising with emphasis on major gifts fundraising. Graduate degree a plus.
- Knowledge of conservation issues preferred.
- Must adhere to the highest ethical standards.
- Proven development track record.
- Highly polished and poised under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills including presentation skills and ability to interact effectively with high profile individuals a must.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and editing skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and on short notice approximately thirty-five percent (35%) of the time.
- A demonstrated ability to lead others and get desired results.
- Ability to think strategically and plan for a period of 1-2 years in the future.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Ability to influence and persuade to achieve desired outcomes.
- Strong team player.
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational, and follow-through skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently in a rapidly changing environment.
- Computer proficiency with databases, spreadsheets, CRM and word processing.
- Commitment to Foundation values.