At Samasource we believe that work is at the core of human dignity and that it is also the most powerful way to end global poverty. Our approach is twofold: we give work to people through our Samasource program, and we prepare people to get work through our Samaschool program.
Samasource is a leading social enterprise that employs low-income people in East Africa and India to perform digital work. Since 2008, Samasource has moved over 37,000 people out of poverty by connecting them to work through some of the world's largest companies, including Google, Glassdoor, and Microsoft.
Samaschool is the first training program to equip low-income job seekers to succeed in the independent, or “gig,” economy. Through our training, low-income youth and adults learn the work readiness and job search skills necessary to market their services in the gig economy, secure work, and build experience and economic security.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Samaschool, the Director of Individual Giving will be responsible for building and leading a successful major gifts program to support Samaschool and select Samasource initiatives. This role will be charged with cultivating, managing, and securing support from individual donors capable of making gifts of $20,000 and higher.
The Director of Individual Giving will have primary responsibility for building and overseeing a portfolio of 80 to 100 prospects. She/he will expand and diversify Samasource’s donor base and pipeline and work closely with the CEO and managing directors to secure funding for current and new initiatives.
It is expected that the amount raised by Samasource will increase in future years as the Director of Individual Giving systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
The location of the role is negotiable, preference for San Francisco, CA or New York, NY.
- Partner with the CEO and managing directors to design and implement a comprehensive individual giving strategy
- Manage Samasource’s individual donor engagement approach including donor acquisition, cultivation, and revenue target accountability
- Maintain a portfolio of individual donors and proactively identify opportunities to cultivate and solicit these donors
- Manage and oversee events, campaigns, and related activities aimed at building and strengthening Samasource’s funding pipeline
- Elevate awareness of Samasource's programs through storytelling
- Monitor all donor information; report on progress against goals; provide and present analyses to senior leaders
- 6-plus years of professional experience in individual donor fundraising
- Demonstrated success in cultivating and managing relationships with major gift donors
- Strong network and knowledge of individual donors
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Strong initiative and follow-through; ability to work in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Highly strategic, analytical, and resourceful
- Tech savvy and knows how to use digital channels to elevate Samasource's presence and support its fundraising goals
- High energy and passion for Samasource's mission
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills